What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

British 25lb AP head for aircraft 3in rockets

Vasco Da Gama

Not my normal area of collecting but I could not resist the projectile pictured. I think that it is a 1943 dated 25lb AP head for the British 3in aircraft rocket, used on aircraft such as the Typhoon. My understanding is that both a 60lb semi-armour piecing and a 25lb AP were produced. Although initial intended for use against tanks the solid 25lb projectile found more favour as an anti-shipping weapon. The marks on the item are: VA, Lot 55, 2/43 and potentially a 3 in square brackets. Pictured alongside a 25lb AP shot from the British WW2 field gun to show the family likeness. Glad to be further educated!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    302.9 KB · Views: 98
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    310.3 KB · Views: 88
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    303.7 KB · Views: 111
Hangarman is the chap for these. Nice item, and not common. Various other types too, Im sure Spotter puts some pics of concrete practice versions on here somewhere found on range clearance?? Tig:tinysmile_classes_t

There are examples of 3" AP heads made from 25pr AP projectiles. These have the driving bands turned flush with the body and are threaded for an adapter.

Here the examples from the 25 Pr AP projectile and some other types.

Attachments

• 25 Lb.jpg
    25 Lb.jpg
    232.8 KB · Views: 141
  • 20160205_102539.jpg
    20160205_102539.jpg
    294.8 KB · Views: 149
  • 20160205_102514.jpg
    20160205_102514.jpg
    284.6 KB · Views: 135
Seeing your 25 Pr i start wondering what one the first picture the one below the converted ones is. I asumed it was teh 25 Pr but only 9 inches heigh.

Nice piece mate, I have a motor for that, would you consider selling it or a swap/trade? :)

Cheers

Alex

Last edited:
The first 60 25lb AP warheads recovered from the cantonment of an old ammunition depot. Apparently in the 1950's these made good fill under footpaths around the HQ. Probably the same number to go, my opo thought the detector was blitzed when I ran over the site on spec.

The first 60 25lb AP warheads recovered from the cantonment of an old ammunition depot. Apparently in the 1950's these made good fill under footpaths around the HQ. Probably the same number to go, my opo thought the detector was blitzed when I ran over the site on spec.

Pity you cant ship a few to the UK.....

Now I have learned to load photos, here is the first batch. We have actually pulled 270 of these and 24 concrete prac heads from a 10m strip. Looks like they were used a ballast under the foot paths of an old ammunition depot, this was from one married quarter, there were 15 on the depot.
20160518_114957.jpeg