What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Exquisite Sectioned Grenade

siegfreid

HONOURED MEMBER RIP
Premium Member
mvc-048s.jpg
Mills No 5 . Period WW1 sectioned . Probably a quality control example rather than instructional . Cut to the micron accuracy even showing the high points of the threads for the filler screw . No computer cutting in those days . Finished by a craftsman with a file & a stone . Awesome .

What about the centre piece? Odd one?

John

John,

The centre piece is a composite lead-antimony and brass construction, patented by a Mr Cuyler Findlay in December 1915, as one solution to easing the production of Mills centre pieces - machining the early aluminium blank castings was problematic.

Some other photos of this very centre piece (it's actually a very well travelled centre piece...) show the construction of the lead alloy cast directly around the brass striker and detonator sleeves. Also attached is the relevant page from the patent - see Figure 3.

Tom.

Attachments

• Composite c-p, mouth.jpg
    Composite c-p, mouth.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 50
  • Composite c-p.jpg
    Composite c-p.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 55
  • Composite c-p's, Findlay.jpg
    Composite c-p's, Findlay.jpg
    247.8 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Thanks Tom.

I normally associate that style of centre piece with the 23Mk III or the early 36's. I've not personally found one in a No 5. Although I have one in my collection of centre pieces I've never seen one with the two additional flanges either side of the striker shaft. I assume production figures were fairly small.

You learn something everyday!

John

FB_IMG_1454684913363.jpg

I had a bash at cutting a no36 last year . Still needs completing but the cuts are done

There are some very nice sectioned Mills around an some horrors too. A few years ago Mike sold me this one which is very fine and I assume to be either a factory demo or a top class museum display item. It is a centre cast with all the early features. The quality is much higher than the standard D&B or Radnal Service issue cutaway. Like's Mike's the style of cutaway is different to. Mine being a 25% segment removed.

Like Mike's it is not just cut but polished superbly.

DSCN0021.JPGCopy of DSCN0019.JPG

John

John,

The centre piece is a composite lead-antimony and brass construction, patented by a Mr Cuyler Findlay in December 1915, as one solution to easing the production of Mills centre pieces - machining the early aluminium blank castings was problematic.

Some other photos of this very centre piece (it's actually a very well travelled centre piece...) show the construction of the lead alloy cast directly around the brass striker and detonator sleeves. Also attached is the relevant page from the patent - see Figure 3.

Tom.