What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Emi

tigbrand

Premium Member
I have somewhere in a box plug replica No255 fuze. it think it is marked EMI?? Bonnex mentioned he worked for them, So if not Norman himself can anyone confirm they made these, and if so what else?? Pic attached of a plug of the same type.Cheers Tig

Hi Tig, I don't know what else they made. If your plug is marked `PRF' then it means `Plug Representing Fuze'.

Hi M, I have a few marked Plug Replica 255. Sure I had seen there name on something else. On an unrelated subject! Do I remember you mentioning the 2" mortar round repair program? I would appreciate info on this as would other members if you have any? Obviously posted in the relevant section on here. Best wishes Tig.

I have somewhere in a box plug replica No255 fuze. it think it is marked EMI?? Bonnex mentioned he worked for them, So if not Norman himself can anyone confirm they made these, and if so what else?? Pic attached of a plug of the same type.Cheers Tig

Tig,

i wasn't aware of PRFs being made by EMI but it is quite feasible. EMI was a large engineering group and had a significant interest in defence work as well as the music, medical and machine tools businesses. Proximity fuzes were made at its Springfield Road factory and, in the 1960s and 1970s, the monogram used usually include the letters SR. The SR factory also produced the hand generator for the rapid cratering device and the Ranger Mine system. The MRF and fuzes/telemetry for missile systems were produced at a different EMI operating company in Feltham, Middlesex.

Hi M, I have a few marked Plug Replica 255. Sure I had seen there name on something else. On an unrelated subject! Do I remember you mentioning the 2" mortar round repair program? I would appreciate info on this as would other members if you have any? Obviously posted in the relevant section on here. Best wishes Tig.

Hi Tig, it was info put out in a thread by AE501.

Thanks Norman. I have a No 255 fuze marked SRM so this would also be EMI made then? I didn't realise that they made such a large range of products. Cheers Tig.

its quite probable Tony. Cases & fuzes made by GC (Gramophone Company) are not uncommon and they merged with Columbia (?) to form EMI (Electrical & Musical Industries Ltd) so the part of the company that made fuzes under the GC name were probaly also making them under the EMI name. Do you think Norman could have been a DJ?! Dave

Cheers Dave, never realised that GC became EMI, good old fashioned British companies, now there's a rarity today. Most stuff is made in China by Ting Tong throw away crap corporation. As for Mr Bonney, a gent. Unlike some Dj's.......:smile:

Dave, being a DJ is not that far from the truth. I was an apprentice at EMI and the Apprentices Association held an annual dance every year. Although we never quite got the Beatles to perform we had some good names because EMI Records hinted to some bands that it would be in their career interest to play for nothing. Pete Murray, Alan Freeman and Valerie Singleton plus a host of EMI top brass used to attend. One of my fellow appentices association committee members was a DJ at a local hospital and I helped out from time to time. Happy days.

Dave, being a DJ is not that far from the truth. I was an apprentice at EMI and the Apprentices Association held an annual dance every year. Although we never quite got the Beatles to perform we had some good names because EMI Records hinted to some bands that it would be in their career interest to play for nothing. Pete Murray, Alan Freeman and Valerie Singleton plus a host of EMI top brass used to attend. One of my fellow appentices association committee members was a DJ at a local hospital and I helped out from time to time. Happy days.

How good is that Norman, working for EMI during the hayday of British music, real music, not like the noise that Tigbrand enjoys! Mind you, most of the people using this site are probably too young to know who those aforementioned people are! Dave

Yeah,
those were the days my friend. Even here on the continent EMI was "the" musiclable and I remember with pleasure the shiny black discs with the EMI logo. All my stash of those has been lost in the last 50 years and the lifeless silvery discs don't hold up to the original promise of longevity. Their lifecycle is even much smaller than the old black gramophone discs. But, its what the consumer voted for. In the future they may all end up as stevedoers of some chinese international corporation.
Bellifortis.
How good is that Norman, working for EMI during the hayday of British music, real music, not like the noise that Tigbrand enjoys! Mind you, most of the people using this site are probably too young to know who those aforementioned people are! Dave