What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

US M48 Fuze or newer version?

Dunkbfg

Without any clear markings, how can you tell whether you have an M48 fuze compared with the more modern M73, M557 or M572? Postings pics of what I have, just can't tell if it's WW2..... Any help appreciated!

M48 Back.jpgM48 Base.jpgM48 or M557.jpgM48 Parts.jpg

I just took apart my M48, M51 and M57 fuses. All the pieces look the same. Only way to tell them apart is by the markings.

Thanks again Steve :) I know you already addressed my question offline, just figured I'd put it out there.
If anyone has a marked M48 (late 1930's to 1945) they'd sell, I'm in the market!

So I may be able to answer my own question - took delivery of another M48 today, one which is definitely late WW2. When I compared it to my other it didn't have the two indents in the ogive, and the ogive was made out of some type of pot metal that a magnet wouldn't attract to. Can anyone confirm? I'm sure earlier war may of used decent metal........anyway, a working theory!

So I may be able to answer my own question - took delivery of another M48 today, one which is definitely late WW2. When I compared it to my other it didn't have the two indents in the ogive, and the ogive was made out of some type of pot metal that a magnet wouldn't attract to. Can anyone confirm? I'm sure earlier war may of used decent metal........anyway, a working theory!

I've never seen anything consistent that allowed for categorization in that way. Lots of people have tried over the years, and many popular theories have been put forward only to later be found incorrect. The numbers of manufacturers, shifting supplies, minor differences in process - If you were talking about just one manufacturer over the entire period you could track the changes that way, but the way that the wartime production jumped around in most areas you are making assumptions. This sort of issue has not changed over the years. Another example is that if you look at 25mm APDS practice rounds in the 1980s, three rounds from three manufacturers, all very different construction and materials, but all meeting the specifications in the contract and carrying the same model number. For this issue if you could track lot numbers that gave you dates and manufacturers you might be able to get a starting point, but you would have to know who all made the fuzes, their codes, who marked and did not mark, etc. A significant task, especially on one of the most common fuze seriesin the US inventory.