What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Practice grenade - Mills 36M

natocollector

Is there such a thing?
They must have had a practice version of there hand grenade?
Like the MkII ´pineapple´ and M67 ´baseball´ have one in blue and marked ´Practice/Training´.

image2.jpg

If so, Ide love to have one in my collection, sex to my inert M36.Does anyone have one for trade/sale?

Last edited:
No, the handle was not cast into the body, they worked exactly like the live grenades, just no filler and had 5 holes in the body. Otherwise they were the same as live versions. here is a Canadian blue painted one, this paint scheme is from the 1970's. Prior to that they were painted white.

Attachments

• no36mk1drill.jpg
    no36mk1drill.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
No, the handle was not cast into the body, they worked exactly like the live grenades, just no filler and had 5 holes in the body. Otherwise they were the same as live versions. here is a Canadian blue painted one, this paint scheme is from the 1970's. Prior to that they were painted white.

Oh yea, my bad. I took an other look at Seigfreids photo, the body look like a standard 36M.

The majority did have filler holes (and screws). In my experience those with no drilled filler hole make up about 5% of drill 36's. The main maker who did not drill out the filler holes seems to be IBR.

John

Last edited:
Natocollector -

You have to distinguish between DRILL grenades and Throwing Practice Grenades.

A Drill Grenade is there to train the soldier how to handle, inspect, add a igniter set and throw a grenade. The whole works except the bang.

Throwing practice grenades are just lump of metal that looks a bit like a grenade, so levers can be cast into or welded to the body.

John

Last edited:
FB_IMG_1454684994290.jpg
The majority did have filler holes (and screws). In my experience those with no drilled filler hole make up about 5% of drill 36's. The main maker who did not drill out the filler holes seems to be IBR.

John

Here's one of the IBR no36mk2 John .

That was a nice one John .do you remember if there was any imperfections in the body casting? .
Regards .Darrol.

No it was pretty good. All the bits fitted well and the finish was pretty standard. It didn't look like a reject casting.

John

Regarding the drill-holes in these practice gren´s:

Are the holes suppos to have identical placement? Because it looks like the drill-holes have identical placement on some grenades, and some have more ´ramdom´placement. Im not saying it is, but asking if some of these may accualy have at some time been ´live´ ones that have meed drilled to look like a practice grenade?

Where the grens drilled out at the local gun-range, or at the factory?

T.

They were factory produced often from reject castings. Many though did have perfect castings and were just drilled out to be practice and drill grenades. The fives holes in theory should be in the same place but manufacturers always very with the Mills. As long as there was a hole in the front face and two on each side they would have passed inspection.

John