What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why is this shell still for sale?

I tried to sneak this one pass the wife, but she noticed...

Attachments

• Shell3.jpg
    Shell3.jpg
    325.8 KB · Views: 87
  • Shell2.jpg
    Shell2.jpg
    321.3 KB · Views: 82
  • shell!.jpg
    shell!.jpg
    307.1 KB · Views: 81
With antique dealers in UK, normally if you ask how much they will do it for cash, they knock off 10 - 15 %. I think that if the price were half, it would still be overpriced. I hate it when military objects are mis-described, especially when they are marked with dates that can easily be checked. I have seen a 1970s 105 mm Field Gun case as an ash tray, described as `Trench Art'. It strikes me as lazy, also opportunistic greed and contempt for their clientele when dealers misrepresent their wares yet still hold out for more than a thing is worth. Just my opinion, for what it's worth.

My Chronograph is called Labradar. It is a new civilian product made by a Canadian company that has manufactured Military ammo chronographs in the past.

Shown is the display side where you read the info.

Attachments

• Lab Radar case.jpg
    Lab Radar case.jpg
    231.5 KB · Views: 17
  • Labradar Unit.jpg
    Labradar Unit.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 20
  • Package.jpg
    Package.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 27
It will track things as slow as arrows and bullets up to 4,000fps out to about 100 yards. It is programmable to take and log readings at 5 locations from 0 to 100 yards, so you can have it log a speed every 20 yards if you want. It runs on 6 AA batteries or a usb cable from a power source.

I'm looking for LABCENTRE, you aim it at the target and it guides your bullet to the middle!

Well overpriced or not I went out and bought it, the HESH projectile interested me no end. (I am glad it wasn't WW1). Strangely enough I found what I think is the correct shell for the projectile what do you gentlemen think?
IMG_0946.jpgIMG_0948.jpgIMG_0951.jpg
I did paint and stencil it to represent the US one. The shell has not been cleaned and still has its original varnish. I also now have a very nice 1944 105 shell waiting for a more appropriate projectile.

Last edited:
As far as paint jobs go and HEP-T projectiles, there are a number of configurations. HEP-T service rounds are painted OD green overall with yellow lettering and a 2 inch wide black band below the ogive. Inert loaded service projectiles are painted OD green with white lettering and a 2 inch light blue band below the ogive. Inert loading-dummy rounds using a service projectile could be black overall with white lettering as you have done. There are many of 106RR drill rounds floating around with this configuration. The black band or black body designate antiarmor rounds. Black with white lettering means "no explosive content".

Your cartridge case is marked TP-HEP-T M467 which is an entirely different round. The TP M467 round uses a TP-T M468 projectile, which is a thick steel body with aluminum ogive and steel tracer. The projectile is painted light blue with white lettering. Your cartridge casing is a 105 tank gun case, and your projectile is a 105 howitzer projectile. They have different rotating bands. The tank projectiles have 2 smaller bands, whereas the howitzer uses one wide band.

Here is the thread with photos of the M467 tank gun round: http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threads/91427-M468-105-mm-tpt?highlight=M468

Last edited:
So would it be better in this casing with green paint and yellow stenciling?
IMG_0952.jpgIMG_0953.jpg
Or should I put it back in the shorter WW2 type case?
IMG_0961.jpgThe one next to the blue book, sorry this is the only image I have without going back to the workshop.

Since your projectile is a HOWITZER projectile it should be in the short HOWITZER cartridge case...like the one near the blue book. It just needs to be a newer dated one to match roughly the date on the projectile.

I agree it was in that one to start with, looked OK as long as you did not look at the date. Best put it back.
Has anyone got a projectile for the others please?
Whilst I am asking I could do with something to go in the 76/62 that came in the same batch.
IMG_0955.jpgIMG_0956.jpgHave you ever seen a primer removed in such a rough manner? it did say 'live primer' in black marker pen.
IMG_0954.jpg It did look quite awesome though!