What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2" mortar unusual type

BMG50

Premium Member
A friend of mine has bought this 2 inch mortar round with unusual holes in the top and bottom of the body, believed to be Dutch. The tail fin are WW2 British as well as the body. Not sure about the markings and its function as a practice round, did the holes relived the pressure from the round only travelling a short distance is this mod a proper army mod or is this tinkered home made bodge. Any references would be appreciated.

Attachments

• white2inch.jpg
    white2inch.jpg
    2.1 KB · Views: 45
  • white2inch1.jpg
    white2inch1.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 60
  • white2inch2.jpg
    white2inch2.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 42
  • white2inch3.jpg
    white2inch3.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 39
  • white2inch4.jpg
    white2inch4.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 46
Hi BMG50 !

Your pictures are too small for anyone to see anything. You need to post wider ones.

Regards,

Hopefully larger pictures

Attachments

• 2white.jpg
    2white.jpg
    291.6 KB · Views: 51
  • 2white1.jpg
    2white1.jpg
    293.1 KB · Views: 50
  • 2white2.jpg
    2white2.jpg
    288.4 KB · Views: 47
  • 2white3.jpg
    2white3.jpg
    285.8 KB · Views: 52
  • 2white4.jpg
    2white4.jpg
    286.2 KB · Views: 42
Not British issue,but the paint and markings look original, possibly Belgian? Does it have the propelling cartridge inside, as that might help?

It has no cartridge but I am curious about the small red marking that may give a clue to what its is or who used it.

I agree, the red mark looks original, Britain I believe??, supplied to Holland, Belgium and Oz with other commonwealth countries using the 2". the holes would lighten the round so as you say could be a reduced charge practice. Tig