What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

90mm AP-T -T33E7 unusual?

My first post. I purchased this at an auction, site unseen, and with little info. The small town auction stated "a WW2 dated 90mm cannon shell". I took the bait? I won the auction, $120, good so far....then after the commission was added, shipping and insurance I ended up shelling out $175. Info:immaculate brass cartridge casing marked " 90mm M19 Lot 69-23141 C.B.&Co 1943", the projectile ( I was hoping it would be a correct match to the casing) is strange. The base has " XC and a star", the tracer element still in place has been expended ( ignited). The marking on the rotating band reads" KVS-3-33-56-90mm-AP-T-T33F (E?)7". Internet search shows it is missing the cap?, but I can find no evidence even with a magnifying glass one was ever attached. My other question, what kind of date is "3-33-56"? Your thoughts appreciated.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    249.7 KB · Views: 58
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    251.6 KB · Views: 67
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 69
Yes it is missing the cap from what I can see in your images.

Joe
Thanks for a quick reply. How was the cap attached? Crimped, welded? .....do you think it is WW2 dated? In other words, is the projectile a proper match for the casing?

Document from 1955 mentions that cap was welded - "Cycloweld C-14". No details about what kind of weld it was exactly, but it occasionally failed and other ways ot attaching the cap were proposed to be investigated.

The date you mentioned shows the projectile was made in 1956. Typically projectiles of this type had the aluminum windscreen glued on, or pinned with three metal pins into the ogive of the projectile body. The pins are slightly smaller than 1/8 inch in diameter.

Last edited:
The date you mentioned shows the projectile was made in 1956. Typically projectiles of this type had the aluminum windscreen glued on, or pinned with three metal pins into the ogive of the projectile body. The pins are slightly smaller than 1/8 inch in diameter.

Thanks for the detailed information. So, I will take it that this projectile is not correct for the casing. What projectile would be correct? The brass case is a fine specimen. What are the odds of finding a WW2 dated projectile to fit?

Your projectile is an early release of the M318 projectile. You do have the proper case for it (M-19), but the dates don't match.

WWII projos are available, but aren't as plentiful as the cases.

Last edited:
Would anyone have or know where a loose ballistic cap could be found? I know the odds of finding one are slim, however, I did find one for a US 3" shell that was missing it's windshield.

I'll leave it to an expert to determine for sure, but I believe this might be what you're looking for.
ID measures just under 79mm.
IMG_1534.jpg IMG_1533.jpg

I am no expert either , a quick Internet search shows this T33..it appears a very close match...is yours from a 90mm T33 possibly? I thought first your 3.1" ID was way to small especially compared to my 90mm M353 , but maybe it is correct? Have a look. Is yours alum or steel? PM me for your asking price, or trade?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 24
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    258.4 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Slick,
I believe your cap is for the 90mm M82. Pics of the M82 and what my T33E7 needs. This one pictured has the same engraving on the rotating band as mine.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 12
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 22
Here another model M318, this was used in the Spanish M48 "Infanteria de Marina"
Saludos

90-AP-T.png
90x600-AP-T.jpg

IMG_8573.jpg
IMG_8604.jpg