What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PIAT Projector

I recently acquired a P.I.A.T. A/T projector (with shipping box). One friend tells me that there is a sub-caliber firing devise that allows 2 inch HE mortar rounds to be fired as an A/T weapon. Another friend says the 2 inch round fired is a practice round for training use only. My PIAT has the 2" trough attached. The truth? Thanks.
water cart

Designed for the training round but probably also used with the modified 2 inch mortar rounds he and smoke that they experimented with.

The firing pin needs to align with the primer in the tail of the projectile.
PIAT rounds have a loading clip at the tail that MUST slide into the slot that surrounds the firing pin/rod opening to ensure proper alignment.
2" mortar service rounds did not have an aligning clip at their tail.
If you tried to fire a 2 inch mortar round that was not properly aligned, the firing pin/rod would hit the rim of the tail, fly about 4 feet, and explode.
The rumor that would not die....probably started by the Germans...
DSCF0673.jpgDSCF0672.jpg

Last edited:
Designed for the training round but probably also used with the modified 2 inch mortar rounds he and smoke that they experimented with.
Attached are a couple of photos of experimental ? piatised mortar rounds,,
PIAT Exp Smk 2in Burst.jpgPIAT Exp Smk 2in Em.jpg
I cant remember where or who i copied these images from and they may have been shown previously on site
allan

Last edited:
Interesting pics - thanks for posting. You can see the guide rings at the back of whatever those are.
You have to wonder what the point was... a bit longer range for less payload...??? But if your goal was to extend the range, wouldn't you want to streamline the nose?

Last edited:
The firing pin needs to align with the primer in the tail of the projectile.
PIAT rounds have a loading clip at the tail that MUST slide into the slot that surrounds the firing pin/rod opening to ensure proper alignment.
2" mortar service rounds did not have an aligning clip at their tail.
If you tried to fire a 2 inch mortar round that was not properly aligned, the firing pin/rod would hit the rim of the tail, fly about 4 feet, and explode.
The rumor that would not die....probably started by the Germans...

Actually they experimented with modified 2 inch mortars here is a document proving it.
modified mortar.jpg

Attached are a couple of photos of experimental ? piatised mortar rounds,,

I cant remember where or who i copied these images from and they may have been shown previously on site
allan

Thanks for the pics I have been looking for how they looked

Interesting pics - thanks for posting. You can see the guide rings at the back of whatever those are.
You have to wonder what the point was... a bit longer range for less payload...??? But if your goal was to extend the range, wouldn't you want to streamline the nose?

The PIAT had a secondary role (The black sight on them) as a mortar, you used it much the same way, problem was that the ammo for the PIAT was not very useful for that as the focus of the blast went into the ground rather than doing what mortars are supposed to do. They then experimented with the 2 inch HE and smoke to make it more useful.

Last edited: