What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Limpet Mine Mk III - 5 Wooden Transit Case

Shedonist

Wondered if anyone had come across one of these before? Wooden limpet mine case, appears that they were not painted (other than the markings)

Can't find any info on whether they were ever issued/used, in fact no info at all - not even a photo...

P1090313.jpgP1090318.jpg

Any info would be gratefully received.

Thanks, Chris

Hi Chris,
Being a Naval mine I would expect the box to have a "N" burnt into one end, but there doesn't appear to be any evidence of this . As Clive says does it have a number on the bottom??
Cheers
Gary

Are they any number stamped into the ends or the base?

There is definitely no marking to the base and no evidence of any burnt-in markings anywhere.
However, on closer inspection, there is a stamped mark to one of the handle plates. I make it out to be H12 but I guess N12 makes sense too.

The box, I have two, came from my grandfather who was in the Army Medical Corps. He may have picked it up surplus after WW2 of course.

Inside the original packing label is still there, and readable, looks like the mines were never filled... Both labels were originally intended for use in 1943 but the packing dates are 2-8-44 and 1-45 (written in pencil) which makes me think that they were probably surplus stock.

Pictures to follow in a minute or two.

Thanks for your help, I have always wondered about these boxes and it would be great to know a little about them if possible.

Cheers, Chris

Looking at these pictures i suspect there not totally original, possibly both ends and lids only are original,,,,,,,, Dave

Looking at these pictures i suspect there not totally original, possibly both ends and lids only are original,,,,,,,, Dave

Hi Dave,

not entirely certain that I can see that being the case... the front and rear panels are grooved to accept partition boards (missing) and line up as well as can be expected. All the timber appears the same type and age, nothing points to replacement of any part of the case. I have a decent amount of experience with antique furniture and I do quite a lot of work with a cabinet maker...

But I have nothing to compare this item with, so anything is possible, which is why I am here after all ;-)

Have a look at the picture below...

P1090319 copy.jpg

I shall say I will eat my words, very strange no markings on front back or underneath if it was early SOE it would have had no markings at all and if SOE no packing lables inside don't know.......Dave

It would be reasonable to assume that the box is an MD1 design and manufactured by, or for, them. This would account for the absence of a base marking. MD1 Limpets were used by SOE until their own Type 6 came into supply.

Is there not H12 stamped into the rope handle anchor point? If so, might it have any useful meaning?

Tom.

Hi Tom,

indeed there is, I am now pretty certain that it is H12 stamped there and I suspect that it may refer to the case itself rather than the contents.
I will post some pics of all the other markings on the cases in the morning, just in case they offer any information that may have been missed.

Thanks for all the help, I have been able to find absolutely nothing of any use from elsewhere.