What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1083 cutaway of ww1 rifle grenade Bertone

I was doing some research and cannot find any good information on this grenade.
Does anyone have specs on it? internal drawings?

Joe

This small rifle grenade keeps me puzzled. The documentation mentions fired by a Carcano cartridge with the bullet passing through the stem. My sample has an opening which is simply too small for a bullet to pass so I assume it was fired by means of a grenade cartridge.

Secondly the center stem very much looks like a redesign of an engine valve with a hole drilled through the stem. Documentation and the various Italian books on 'Bomba a Mano' do not mention this and also the type indication varies from M1914 to M1917.

A bit of odd ball but nevertheless an intriguing design. Additional information highly appreciated.

Regards, Jan

Some info Joe

Regards,

CHris

Attachments

• Bertone.pdf
    261.5 KB · Views: 49
Hi Jan, you've right! The central part is made using old engine valve! The grenade was fired from a cup attachet at a Carcano rifle; the hole is too small because the bullet must be forced to pass through, so it will left all its kinetic force to the grenade.