What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WWII Experimental? Pre-engraved 37mm and others.

Dr_Rambow

Hello!

I have not posted much here but have used this place as a reference often enough, so thank you! I am doing some spring cleaning in the collection (I mostly collect WWI) so I was doing research on some of my projectiles that I may sell. I was able to find some really interesting information on the 37mm pre-engraved projectile that I have, but I don't know much else about the others.

Pictured are the PE 37mm, 20mm cases necked down to .50 with odd ferrous projectiles with a matte aluminum looking finished. These are pictured with a .60 cal projectile and an unknown polished steel .50 with a copper driving band. I have pictured the headstamps of the 20mm/.50 cases.

Let me know what you think!

PC040146.jpg

Attachments

• PC040143.jpg
    PC040143.jpg
    290.8 KB · Views: 102
  • P2160284.jpg
    P2160284.jpg
    302.3 KB · Views: 95
  • PC040145.jpg
    PC040145.jpg
    296 KB · Views: 93
Nice rounds , haven't seen the .50HV with those extra headstamp markings before, would they be to denote experimental(!) loadings?
Could the ferrous projectiles be for de-coppering or just a different style of manufacture?

cheers
Bob

Your guess is as good as mine. All of these projectiles came with necked down 20mm cases (well, I have two extra projectiles).

P2160279.jpg

There is mention in the 'History of Modern U.S. Military Small Arms Ammunition Vol. II' under the .50HV section of artillery style projectiles made of 'soft steel' with copper rotating bands or pre engraved.These could be another variant or possibly prior to having the rotating band fitted.the band would have been about 12mm from the base.

Well I can tell you that these grey projectiles are pretty well fitted to the cases (projectile is 0.512 at widest), so I don't think they would have had any additional parts that needed to be added. Perhaps this explains the .50 with the copper driving band though.

I forgot to mention that these were all procured about two miles from Frankford Arsenal, across the river in NJ.

It seems that someone who worked there took home a few souvenirs.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the value of things like this? I wouldn't even know where to start if I had to make an offer on another one.