What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3in 20cwt Pracitce Round

Spitace41

Hi all. I believe this is a 3in 20cwt practice round. Am I right in thinking that the yellow band would indicate this? The shell has been lodged in the case and I am not sure if shells such as this had a driving band or not. Any comments would be welcome. Cheers.

Attachments

• IMAG2608.jpg
    IMAG2608.jpg
    303.6 KB · Views: 63
  • IMAG2609.jpg
    IMAG2609.jpg
    332.6 KB · Views: 71
  • IMAG2611.jpg
    IMAG2611.jpg
    347.6 KB · Views: 57
  • IMAG2612.jpg
    IMAG2612.jpg
    299.7 KB · Views: 51
  • IMAG2613.jpg
    IMAG2613.jpg
    274.1 KB · Views: 42
Hi all. I believe this is a 3in 20cwt practice round. Am I right in thinking that the yellow band would indicate this? The shell has been lodged in the case and I am not sure if shells such as this had a driving band or not. Any comments would be welcome. Cheers.

The shell certainly had a driving band and has been pushed into your case further than it would have been as a fixed round. I've attached a couple of pictures of a re-painted and re-banded head which came from a crane ballast box near to Woolwich Arsenal in the 1990s. Regards, Depotman.

3in 20cwt Practice.JPG3in 20cwt Stampings.JPG

That's great, thanks. Yours is a nice looking shell. I have heard numerous stories of solid shot being used in ballast boxes. Guess they were cheap, especially around Woolwich.

I expect your one was from the same mentioned ballast box! There were lots in different calibres.

I expect your one was from the same mentioned ballast box! There were lots in different calibres.

As I recall the treasure chest (ballast box) contained the following practice heads:- 2pr, 3pr, 3-inch 20cwt, 4-inch Flat-head proof and 4.7-inch; most in very good condition. Depotman

Funnily enough I also have a 4.7in practice shell with the driving band removed that came from the same source. Probably from the same crane! :)

I am certain I have seen 6in flat ended shot from the same source but did not get one as heavey and too big for me to reband.