What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

US Made 18 Pounder Shrapnel Shell

M8owner

I have been on the lookout for a reasonably priced 18 pounder in the US for well over a year now. They do pop up on auction sites regularly, as well as the No. 80 fuses. I was able to pick this up affordably because the previous owner did not remove the surface rust to see all the wonderful markings. Both the fuse and shell are made by BSC. It is my understanding that this is Bethlehem Steel Corporation.

Attachments

• IMG_2356.jpg
    IMG_2356.jpg
    310.4 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_2357.jpg
    IMG_2357.jpg
    293.5 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_2358.jpg
    IMG_2358.jpg
    291.5 KB · Views: 74
The fuze was actually made by Scoville Manufacturing Co., USA. who were sub-contractors to the Bethlem Steel Co. Scoville were also sub-contractors to American Locomotive Co., USA (A.L.C.O). A lot of WWI munitions are attributed to Bethlem Steel and American Locomotive but it appears they sub-contracted a lot of their work.

TimG

Nice 18 pdr! Great to pick up with unfired driveband and unfired M1907/No. 85 fuse. Unfired shrapnels are very rare here in Australia.
Interesting to note that is only a Mk III shell as late as 1916. My earliest British WW1 dated 18 pdr shell is dated 8/14 and is a Mk V.

Just had a close look at this shell. It's an HE shell (so Mk III is correct for that period), not a shrapnel, and incorrectly fitted with a No. 85 shrapnel fuze. The fuze screws directly into the shell without the socket (adapter) so it's an HE. Should be much heavier with much greater wall thickness than a shrapnel. A suitable HE fuze for this period would be something like a No. 101B.

Thank you Darkman. I just cleaned it yesterday and was thinking its construction was not right for a shrapnel. What color should this be painted? Yellow?

This is one i done a few years ago.
Andy

Attachments

• 18pdr HE & shrapnel.jpg
    18pdr HE & shrapnel.jpg
    282.5 KB · Views: 27
It was very nice of ebay to have a No. 101 B fuse for sale right when I needed it. I should have it in a few days.