What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

9.2" How 'Streamlined' . Can you help with ID?....

starshell

Premium Member
Hello all,
Wonder if I might tap into the vast font of knowledge here on Bocn and see if anyone might be able to identify the first war period 9.2" HE I have just obtained.
I have a few bog standard common models, but this particular shell has a larger calibre radius curve at the ogive and stands at just over 32" base to top of adapter (so minus fuse).
The adapter is 9/16" high.
Base to lower edge of driving band is 1" & 3/16
Driving band width is 2.5" (just under).

I'm trying to figure out the Mk and any other historical/technical info relating to this type of projectile.
I've not yet found a great deal despite searches through books/net/ etc. The only image I found was a similar shell at the IWM.

I'd be very grateful if anyone could provide any images and technical spec stuff, manual entries, etc.
Pics attached, one showing common 9.2 for comparison.
Many thanks in advance.
DView attachment 118085View attachment 118086

Herewith a few drawings of various Marks of the 9.2-inch How which might help eliminate options rather than give straightforward answer. Unfortunately I do not have drawings in this set covering the other marks for the howitzer or any for the 9.2-inch Gun.

The 1915 Treatise has a table of projectiles with dimensions which might be useful.

RL22683A Shell BL HE 9-2-inch How Mk VI.jpgRL22283(1) Shell BL HE 9-2-inch How Mk II.jpgRL22283A Shell BL HE 9-2-inch How Mk V.jpgRL22683(1) Shell BL HE 9-2-inch How Mk IV.jpg

Many thanks Bonnex. Superb technical drawings, and a great reference to the 9.2's in the collection. Thanks for attaching them.
Had a look in the 1915 Treatise but no luck insofar as this particular Mk is concerned. I assumed it might be naval owing to the increased calibre radius and length, but then as mentioned earlier, IWM has one displayed on its gun, although it is described as a '9.2" with ballistic cap on its Howitzer loading tray'.
Which threw me off a bit, as it didn't appear to be AP, (seemed to me to be a different Mk of 9.2" HE), but either way, it is a dead ringer for what I have.
I had an image years ago of an 9.2" dump in France with small heaps of these shells dotted around. Can I find it now?.....!!Cheers!
D

I had a look in the Admiralty Handbooks on Ammunition. The 1915 edition lists some projectiles but I couldn't find a match. The (Land Service) handbooks for the How and Gun (1920/1923) show some of the HE marks but, whereas the How handbook gives lengths, the Gun handbook does not.

Presumably the stamps on the shell are unreadable?

Thanks again Bonnex.
Unfortunately any stamps the shell had are long gone due to the orange peel effect pitting.
All I can go on are dimensions.
Not sure if this is a gun or How'r projectile. I'm erring on the side of How'r, but the 'streamlined' profile could suggest a long range gun?...
The driving band is exactly the same type as the other common 9.2's I have if that helps.
Regards,
Dylan

Dylan,

I think these streamlined shells are a late war design. The one I have is a Mk XIII HOW and dated 1918. If it were naval the driving band would be different.

D

Many thanks Burney!
At least I know which Mk to pursue now. :tinysmile_grin_t: She's a cracker!
D