What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No. 37 long delay fuze w/o anti-removal device?

al'saad

Ordnance approved
Could left fuze on the photo be a No.37 fuze without anti-removal device? I have been reading about these fuzes produced since 1944. but I have never had the honor to meet an example.

Attachments

• C~000018.jpg
    C~000018.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 194
Hello,

I think al'saad already knows details of No53, maybe he talks about a fuze made with the body of a No37.

Regards

TailPistolNo53.JPG

Last edited:
I would say that both are identical Fuze !!! Both models are average No 37 with expansion lock. Since no '53 is. The fashion color ring is wrong !!!

Here the difference lies !!!!

Attachments

• Heckzünder No. 37.jpg
    Heckzünder No. 37.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 119
  • Heckzünder No. 53 Mk I.jpg
    Heckzünder No. 53 Mk I.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 119
In documentation(US navy bomb disposal school British bombs and fuze's 1944) I found; the MkI did not have anti-withdrawal device and was declared obsolete Mk II was also obsolete soon after introduction, no further information, Mk III incorporated anti-withdrawal and arming screw had left hand thread, Mk IV right hand thread, Mk IV* and V are the same as Mk IV but have blotting paper to indicate a broken ampule. So there was a No 37 (the Mk I version) without anti-withdrawal device!

Last edited:
I think I do not really understand; so the left one on the top picture is an official and existing type; It's not a normal No.37 with the Spring and locking balls removed and a different bottom screw, but a factory manufactured type.
Why was it not replaced by a No.53 straight away.

Regards, DJH

Last edited:
DJH, I think you make a crucial thinking error. It is not the locking-balls, rubber friction-band and spring and so on were removed but they were added later in the Mk III and further. when you take this way of thinking in account it makes more sense. And the Mk I and II were declared obsolete before 1944!

I am familiar with both 37 and 53 designs, and essential difference between these two types is in the length of the delay. No.37 6-144 hrs, No.53 30-60 min. Generally due to much shorter time of delay No.53 did not require anti-removal device. My question was whether anyone can confirm that No.37 was produced w/o anti-removal device or modified in such way.

I did some homework last night and found Sir Arthur Harris's notes on these fuzes.

Attachments

• 37.jpg
    37.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 60
  • 53.jpg
    53.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 62
  • haris.jpg
    haris.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 49
The fuze on the left in the first post looks to be Mk4** or Mk5* which, according to my docs, would be a post war modification with antiremoval device deactivated.
Bob

For my opinion it is a modified later mark of N°37 without a anti-withdrawal device. Perhaps the white V-shaped notch should indicate that also.

Mossie

Here I have a No.37 MK I (WeCo) with 72hr (D) delay w/o anti-removal feature and left hand spindle thread.

Attachments

• 03-03-037-01, Pistol LZZ  No.37 MK I, We Co 72hrs., 1.jpg
    03-03-037-01, Pistol LZZ No.37 MK I, We Co 72hrs., 1.jpg
    326.2 KB · Views: 64
My documentation say:

No Mk number (no anti withdrawal)) late 1940
Mk I (no anti withdrawal) 1941/2
Mk II (anti withdrawal) 1941/2
Mk III (anti withdrawal) 1941/2
Mk IV (anti withdrawal fitted or removed by modification) 1942- 1945
Mk IV* (anti withdrawal fitted or removed by modification) 1942- 1945
Mk V (anti withdrawal fitted or removed by modification) 1942- 1945