What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Projectile ID - 65mm

Burney Davis

Premium Member
I have attached a series of pictures of a projectile that I am hoping someone here can identify. It is 65mm in diameter and 190mm tall. The paint is original and the fuze dated 1902 is marked Ex. It has internal fragmentation lines and is thin walled. I'm looking for ID on type and what shell case would have been mated with it. It 'feels' French to me at 65mm but I don't recognise the fuze. Completely inert of course. Thanks in advance.

D

S4200029.jpgS4200030.jpgS4200031.jpgS4200032.jpg

Very interesting shell, the fuze is a 100% Krupp Contruction and I think the shell too. Is it a 65 mm for sure?

I am not sure but "RP" could be the norwegian Raufoss Patronfabrik.

It definitely measures 65mm Alpini. The other marks on the top of the fuze are 0.4 in a circle and the letter L under the RP.

Norway did have a 65 mm L/43 gun. I have no further details.

Norway did have a 65 mm L/43 gun. I have no further details.

I'm way way out of my comfort zone here, just to say that Hawkinson lists the round from Norway as:

65 x 470 R
Rim 88mm
65mm H.K.L/43 M1/M2 Hotchkiss, M3 Nordenfelt
Norway
Navy

Hope this makes sense.

Dave.

only a picture of gun + cartridge. But I have big doubts that your projectile is for this gun.

Attachments

• Hotchkiss_0371.jpg
    Hotchkiss_0371.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 37
Any chance it could be for one of the Italian 65mm? You see them so seldom that a new one popping up would not be a big surprise.

I only know the Cannone da 65/17 da montagna? But the projectiles of this gun are well documented and they are all other than seldom seen as they were used in millions during WW1. Do you may be mean an other country?

It seemed to me that, when doing some research for one of his books Bruno was discussing a number of unknown 65mm projectiles that he had come across. This was nearly ten years ago and I may have mixed it up with something else, but I thought it was one of the many things we had discussed over dinner. I either had just done a trip into Ethiopia or was about to, and parts of the discussion were on items that we had seen or that he hoped we would see.

Too many discussions too long ago....

It seemed to me that, when doing some research for one of his books Bruno was discussing a number of unknown 65mm projectiles that he had come across. This was nearly ten years ago and I may have mixed it up with something else, but I thought it was one of the many things we had discussed over dinner. I either had just done a trip into Ethiopia or was about to, and parts of the discussion were on items that we had seen or that he hoped we would see.

Too many discussions too long ago....

Age is catching up with you Jeff........