What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

C316 box

tankbarrell

Premium Member
I recently picked up this box but have been unable to find out what it is for. It shows witness marks in the interior of possible dividers and clamps very similar to the C318 in this thread. http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threads/6905-3-7-quot-How-ammo-box

It would appear to be a longer box however. Internal dims are 23 3/4" x 9 1/2" x 5 1/4".

Any help in an id would be great thanks!

Attachments

• WP_20160309_16_48_59_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160309_16_48_59_Pro.jpg
    287.1 KB · Views: 63
  • WP_20160309_16_49_17_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160309_16_49_17_Pro.jpg
    287 KB · Views: 50
95mm Tank Howitzer fits the bill. A C308 has external Stowage dims of 27.75" x 11.5" x 6.5". How does that compare to your externals?
Cheers
Gary

Gary, I tried 95mm but my literature only mentions C106, C107 and C109. This box is 26.25" x 11.5" x 7"

Herewith an extract from a Kirkee publication called 'Useful Information'; I hope it proves to be

Box C316.jpg

That is indeed useful Bonnex, thank you very much. I have the armament pamphlet for the 95mm SP but it doesn't list the C316. Mind you, it doesn't actually list the boxes by number.

This Kirkee publication you have, does it list more calibres?

That is indeed useful Bonnex, thank you very much. I have the armament pamphlet for the 95mm SP but it doesn't list the C316. Mind you, it doesn't actually list the boxes by number.

This Kirkee publication you have, does it list more calibres?

It also lists the C316 to hold 2 off of the 3.7-in How Shrapnel, Smoke Bursting, Smoke BE (screening) or Coloured Smoke BE. Unfortunately it does not list by box number so a fair amount of searching is necessary to locate the box number of interest.

Useful none the less! You can often narrow down the search from it's dimensions and style. Any chance of a copy of that document?

Indeed! Given location and date, I assume the 3.7" HOW was its most likely original use. There is no obvious stencilling on it anywhere, perhaps unused or refinished.

Today I received a C316 (unfortunately without a lid) with perfect intact markings on. Have not yet been able to take photos but it clearly says 95MM HOW INF.

I will be posting a new thread with photos in the coming days.