What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Interesting Item

jvollenberg

Ordnance approved
This is listed as a UK Rocket No. 1 MK 11 ...

Any ideas if this is right? Doesn't seem right to me. It almost looks like a Bangalore Torpedo ... but maybe I am looking at it wrong.

Dia: 88MM
Length: 1.6M
"Warhead" Exposed Length: 240MM

Joe

Attachments

• ICE-JV-131-2.JPG
    ICE-JV-131-2.JPG
    112.8 KB · Views: 111
  • ICE-JV-131-3.JPG
    ICE-JV-131-3.JPG
    115.8 KB · Views: 94
  • ICE-JV-131-4.JPG
    ICE-JV-131-4.JPG
    91.9 KB · Views: 90
  • ICE-JV-131-5.JPG
    ICE-JV-131-5.JPG
    116 KB · Views: 84
  • ICE-JV-131-6.JPG
    ICE-JV-131-6.JPG
    106.7 KB · Views: 77
  • ICE-JV-131-13.JPG
    ICE-JV-131-13.JPG
    172.3 KB · Views: 81
  • ICE-JV-131-18.JPG
    ICE-JV-131-18.JPG
    127.2 KB · Views: 87
  • ICE-JV-131-21.JPG
    ICE-JV-131-21.JPG
    108.5 KB · Views: 72
Joe . Are you sure about that diameter ? 88mm seems awfully large & would certainly preclude a BT .

That's what we have listed. I had some young troops doing the data collection when we were doing these, so there is a possibility the measurement could be off.

Joe

RP-3 - Rocket Projectile 3 inch. With early 25 lb A.P. head and without tail - Aircraft mounted rocket (I think!)

TimG

As Tim says.

The formal nomenclature is:

Motor, Rocket, Aircraft, 3-inch, No 1 Mark III /NA/

or Mark II with

Shot, A.P. 25lb, Mark I /NA/ Steel with adapter

Last edited:
Thanks ... it is an interesting piece. I am guessing that there are fins that snap into the slots then?

Do you have anything on these rockets?

Joe

She's a beauty. Lovely to see the pigtail in detail. Should have 4 rectangular fins 8" x 5" Nicest one iv'e seen in a long while.

Just to add-

The small, 25 lb. AP warhead was intended for use against submerged targets as it was more streamlined than the 60 lb. warhead.

This Rocket motor was made by Messrs Luxfer, Colwick, Nottingham, UK. (LUX) - This was once part of the U.S. Luxfer Group.
Rocket motor filled by Royal Ordnance Factory Bridgend.

TimG

Wow . What a nice piece . Is this the rocket for the Typhoon etc ? I think I had some of the bigger ones once but they were very tatty . If any UK collectors have a spare one in goodish condition , I would love to own one . Let me know . Thanks , Mike.

Nice item, i've been after one of these for years.Looks like an ex-museum/EOD piece?
The fins would be fairly easy to make from sheet metal once you have the profile,i think the shape is included in the official data.They are retained in the slots by the 'hooks' and a sliding key.
These were used by the British/Commonwealth form early '40s up to the '70s. Aircraft types include Spitfire,Typhoon,Tempest,Mosquito,Vampire,Hunter to name just a few.

cheers
Bob

The piece actually belongs to the EX-Aberdeen, not Fort Lee, Ordnance Museum. We took pictures of the items several years ago, and now are trying to ID some of the items.
I also want to share some of the items on here so people can see them. Unfortunately these items might never see the light of day again, as they were boxed up for the move and warehoused.

Joe

This is a British RP-3 rocket with 25lb AP head, it's only missing the tail fins, but it's otherwise complete. Is it for sale by any chance?