What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

19th century shell

oktato

Premium Member
Hi,
Another mystery object!
Can anyone tell me more about this projectile?
I assume it's a 19th century, lead-coated shell, but I would like to know more about its nationality and the weapon it was used with.
Including the fuze, it's about 9.5" (24 cm) long and 8.5 cm wide.
There are no markings on the fuze, but there is a broad arrow and the letter "H" on the body of the shell.
Thanks in anticipation!
Gary

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

it's a german (prussian) 9 cm schwere Feldgranate C/76, target practise version.

Hi Alpini,
Thanks for another very precise I.D.!
Can I ask how you know it's a target practice version?
Gary

Hello Alpini,

-I assume it's not possible to make quickly an external difference between 9cm C/73 and C/76 ?

-Is the fuze C/80 with mundlochfutter c/80 could be used in place of feldgranatzünder C/73 ? On shell shown I can see the pin hole of C/73.

Regards

999.jpg

73.jpg1.jpg3.jpg2.jpg9cmc76.jpg

yes you are right it's not visible from outside, it could be model 1873 too. Oktato must have a look inside the shell with a good lamp, if it is a C/76 the rings inside are visible.

All of the many 9 cm TP shells I have seen until now were all C/76 that misled me to write C/76 only - there should be TP C/73's too.

Last edited: