What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

25 Pdr Smoke Shell Canisters

Tranter

Can anyone tell me whether the three individual smoke canisters contained in a 25 Pdr BE smoke shell had any markings on them at all, or were they left unmarked? If they were marked has anyone got any pics of one? Many thanks.

Hi Tranter, each was stamped on one end, with the year of manufacture, the Mark of canister and perhaps also with a broad arrow if my memory serves me correctly eg Mk III 1942. I'm sure I have a photo of one. Not able to research just yet.

How hard is it to find these canisters in the UK? I have a smoke shell that needs three and the bottom plate to complete. Those are ordnance items that will safely ship out to the USA - I believe.

here in germany (nrw) i found so many many many many many ..... from the empty smoke kanister, bottom plates, the brass disc and the empty smoke grenades

Those that I find are on beaches and are normally too rusty to see anything on. With regard to markings I also think that there are manufacturer's initials / monogram stamped on the same end as the other markings I mentioned.