What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

20mm 'gondola' round?.....

starshell

Premium Member
Hi all,
Saw this 20mm round in our local militaria shop today, and the owner said could I possibly ID it?

He says he thinks its a 'Gondola' (?) round, maybe used in or against Zeppelins?
I know nothing about these rounds but said I'd try and find out more for him, hence the post.
The case seems short for a 20mm?
The projectile has tiny stamps of what looks to be a German imperial crown, and '18'. Drive band is intact. It has no base fuse so I presume is solid shot, and no cavity at the base.
The case has the markings seen in the pics. It has a 6 or 8 to the left of the primer pocket and 17 to the right, which I take to be the date? Also, 'P&S' and Sp 61. The rim is less in diametre than the case. Unfortunately we had no means of measuring this round but it stands approx 7" tall.
Thats all I have I'm afraid.
The pics aren't great due to the bad lighting in the shop, but the bloke is a decent sort and keen to learn.
Many thanks in advance for any info.
Cheers!
DView attachment 118662View attachment 118663View attachment 118664

This is a 2cm Beckers round. Used in the 20mm cannon/gun for aviational purposes.
Used on and against aircrafts in the first World War.

I'm looking for this one. Can I pb you or is it one for your own collection? ;)

Hi Doodle,
This one is still in the shop, but I'm happy to get in touch with the guy on your behalf and see what he wants for it. PM me and I'll try and help.
Cheers!
D

Hey,

Agree with 2 cm Becker, however the shell probably is not solid shot, but rather armour piercing tracer. I have not found any records showing Becker rounds having been loaded with solid shot. The AP-T shell for the Becker has a cavity (larger part of the body being hollow) and a baseplug (either steel or zinc). The baseplug has a small hole that serverd to ignite the tracer compund via propellant gasses.

regards.

Last edited: