What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5cm pzgr 40 fake - reproduction

jeff w

Does anyone doubt that this is a fake/reproduction? It was advertised as authentic. I am not an expert.
fake1.jpgfake12.jpgfake123.jpgfake1233.jpgfake12334.jpg

Is the core tungsten? Why is there a step in the taper of the ogive?

Last edited:
I agree, the core might not be fake, the rest definitely is

So, regarding the core, is it 21mm dia?, all 5cm Pzgr40 and Pzgr40/1 cores I think are 21mm.
....and of course is it Tungsten.

I am with the others on this one, its a fake, amounst other things the font is all wrong for the stamps.
Best regards Weasel.

Thanks all.
The seller is also advertising this as genuine 5cm German - not familiar with these but am pretty certain it is also incorrect;
03%20-%20comparison%205cm%20Pzgr%20and%205cm%20Pzgr%2039.JPGpix085864665.jpgpix490345823.jpgpix512454438.jpg

1st 5cm: terrible fake

2nd: The bottom part with core looks good, the upper parts are new made i say

Last edited:
Hello Jeff. Your round does not look anything like the verified real one that I have. The nose should be Bakelite with an aluminum tip.

Original (5 cm BK panzergranate hartkern), the allumium parts and the metal ring are fake.

001 (3).jpg

Last edited:
Hello Jeff. Your round does not look anything like the verified real one that I have. The nose should be Bakelite with an aluminum tip.

Hi M8 - your referring to the first one (pzgr 40) right? Would you mind posting a pic of the tip?. When I was trying to verify it I was having trouble finding good pics.

And the Pzgr 40/1 - I could find no pics at all, just a line drawing, which was enough to convince me.

I can show you pictures of the body and the core. I had to make a reproduction nose out of aluminum. I had an accident with the nose; that make me so sick, I had to take a knee. I know it is original as I am the one who removed it from being crimped into the case.

Attachments

• IMG_2400[1].jpg
    IMG_2400[1].jpg
    273.6 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_2399[1].jpg
    IMG_2399[1].jpg
    293.6 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_2398[1].jpg
    IMG_2398[1].jpg
    280.6 KB · Views: 61
I can show you pictures of the body and the core. I had to make a reproduction nose out of aluminum. I had an accident with the nose; that make me so sick, I had to take a knee. I know it is original as I am the one who removed it from being crimped into the case.

Thanks for the pics - I appreciate it.

Bakelite with an aluminium tip I have never seen. Bakelite with a tip of metal sheet do exist (Type B). Type A had an alumium nose of which the hollow tip was filled with paper. There was also a hollow nose of alumium of which the space between the nose and the core was filled with moulded plastic. Don't know the type.

Attachments

• Pzgr 40 A.jpg
    Pzgr 40 A.jpg
    270 KB · Views: 25
  • Pzgr 40 B.jpg
    Pzgr 40 B.jpg
    272.5 KB · Views: 26
  • DSC01401.jpg
    DSC01401.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 42
And the Pzgr 40/1 - I could find no pics at all, just a line drawing, which was enough to convince me.

I have collected german ammo for over 30 years but I have never seen a Pzgr 40/1. Here drawings of types O and P from the Geschossringbuch.

Attachments

• Pzgr 40 1 O.jpg
    Pzgr 40 1 O.jpg
    284.2 KB · Views: 25
  • Pzgr 40 1 P.jpg
    Pzgr 40 1 P.jpg
    284 KB · Views: 24