What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Russian 1904 Pattern Grenade

roller63

Premium Member
I can't remember if I have posted about this before. A Russian 1904 Pattern stick grenade. I have had this a while. Appears to be all original, including the wooden handle, the wood has shrunk where it joins the metalwork. The only marking on it is "ynr" on the handle, which I think means practice. Perhaps Ivan or another Russian speaking member can confirm ? The fragmentation part is made of a soft metal, I wouldn't have thought that would do the job very well ?
This must be the oldest item in my collection.
I think this could be the type of grenade that inspired the design of the British No1 grenade ? All comments welcome.

grens etc 022.jpgp0518.pnggrens etc 030.jpggrens etc 029.jpggrens etc 028.jpggrens etc 027.jpggrens etc 026.jpggrens etc 025.jpggrens etc 024.jpggrens etc 023.jpggrens etc 021.jpgp0020.jpg

Tony, you have great grenade!
It looks perfect!
I read manual for this grenade. In manual talks about existing grenades to teaching soldiers how to throw them. They shoouldn`t have any explosive and instead of pyroxiline they should have wooden block. About special marking doesn`t talk anything, but could be that some workshop made this marking, because this grenade was producing in a lot of places.

Thanks Ivan ! I was hoping you would be able to tell me more about it. Perhaps it should have a wooden block inside ?

Thanks Ivan ! I was hoping you would be able to tell me more about it. Perhaps it should have a wooden block inside ?

Yes, you can make wooden block and it will be one of the most expensive trainig grenade :tinysmile_tongue_t:
Block should have next size: high - 70 mm, diameter - 30 mm, weight - 60g (it isn`t TNT, that`s why weight only 60g instead of 75g in TNT block).

I think the No 1 was more inspired by a Japanese grenade. European observers brought back many ideas from the Russian / Japanese war and the Royal Laboratories seemed to follow the Japanese design more closely. However they are all grenades of the same period so it may be that some of the Russian internals were copied into the No 1. I don't know (someone will!).

John

I think the No 1 was more inspired by a Japanese grenade. European observers brought back many ideas from the Russian / Japanese war and the Royal Laboratories seemed to follow the Japanese design more closely.

John

Does anyone have any photographs of the Japanese grenade that inspired the British number 1 grenade?

Dave.

Does anyone have any photographs of the Japanese grenade that inspired the British number 1 grenade?

Dave.

Two period photographs from British observers with the Japanese army - "Japanese Hand Grenades", Lt.-Col. Haldane, DSO.

Tom.

Attachments

• DSC06357.jpg
    DSC06357.jpg
    292.7 KB · Views: 63
  • DSC06355.jpg
    DSC06355.jpg
    293.2 KB · Views: 57
Russian 1.jpegRussian 2.jpgRussian 3.jpgRussian 4.jpgRussian 5.jpgI add my photos to this older posting to keep information together.
The Russian grenade is 625mm overall length. Frag rings are 48.5mm diameter with 6 grooves in each half.
I notice that one of the clips is missing on my example. It should have 3 clips but still is in good condition.

I will add to this old post to keep information together. I have found another Lishin type grenade.
I show it to compare with my other grenade. Several differences.
The handle is a reproduction so roughly the same as my Lishin but narrower profile so unimportant.
The frag ring is alloy and the nose and cap are longer. The cap is steel and has 3 clips. The old one has 2 clips.
The body is steel with a lead nose to hold the nail ? striker firing pin. The cap cover is 106mm long without the clips.
The grenade nose is 71mm long and weighs 93 grams and has 2 cut-outs at the top. The slots are also different. I assume it is Russian ?.

The shorter old grenade cap cover is 83mm long without the 2 clips. The grenade alloy nose is 42.5mm long and weighs 21 grams. The slits are different.
I realise that there are different handle and body types so I hope you like this comparison.

Lishin comparison a.jpgLishin comparison c.jpgLishin comparison b.jpg

I saw one of these Russian grenades recently for sale. I can defiantly see the resemblance to the British no1 because of the frag ring.

I wonder how affective it was in the Russo-Japanese war.