What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Indian Army 75/24 Pack Howitzer

Vasco Da Gama

This case turned up in the UK but must have travelled at some point! It is marked for the indigenously produced Indian Army 75/24 Pack or Mountain Howitzer. The length is 307mm, rim 108mm and mouth 85mm (which would indicate separate loading ammunition to me). Finding the paint markings intact is a bonus. I cannot find much information on this weapon and would be glad to be educated. Pictured alongside a US M5 75mm Pack Howitzer case for comparison.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    293.9 KB · Views: 98
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    297.4 KB · Views: 67
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    291.7 KB · Views: 52
Apologies for hijacking this thread, but I also have found one of these cases at a local antiques fair. Identical to the above dimension-wise, but the date is 1975, and the lot number 924B. No stencils on the case side, but a letter "B" is stencilled on the base.

All I can find on the internet is that this was a 75mm gun firing a 24-pdr shell.

Seeing the mark "M^S", I thought this was an Australian-made case, until I checked the primer, which although it appears to be a British-style No.11, was actually made in Khamaria Ordnance Factory.

Surely we have some knowledgeable people out there who can tell us about this gun and/or the ammunition it fired?

Roger.

Apologies for hijacking this thread, but I also have found one of these cases at a local antiques fair. Identical to the above dimension-wise, but the date is 1975, and the lot number 924B. No stencils on the case side, but a letter "B" is stencilled on the base.

All I can find on the internet is that this was a 75mm gun firing a 24-pdr shell.

Seeing the mark "M^S", I thought this was an Australian-made case, until I checked the primer, which although it appears to be a British-style No.11, was actually made in Khamaria Ordnance Factory.

Surely we have some knowledgeable people out there who can tell us about this gun and/or the ammunition it fired?

Roger.

Roger,

It is a Canadian designed Pack Howitzer used by (and possibly manufactured by) the Indian forces. The nomenclature 75/24 decodes as 75mm bore (calibre) with a barrel length of 24 calibres. It uses QF Separate ammunition.
Projectiles included:
Shell, HE QF
Shell Screening Smoke BE QF
Shell Coloured Smoke BE QF
Shell HE AT QF
and a target indicating shell.

The "B" (or "A") is a Mark letter I believe (Mark as in Mark 2 or Mark II).

Last edited:
Norman,

Thanks for this info. The "24-pds projectile weight" came from an internet source about Indian artillery, but how authoritative it was, I don't know. When i first saw the headstamp, I assumed the "24" bit referred to the calibre; - a 24-pd shell of 75mm calibre would be a bit long and thin.

Does anyone have any pictures of the ammunition, or know where they can be found on the internet?

Roger.

Many thanks, Norman; that is just what I was after. All I have to do now is find one of the shells!

Regards,
Roger.