What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Experimental British 4.2" Mortar Bomb

oktato

Premium Member
Hi,
Can anyone provide ANY information on this experimental 4.2" Rocket/Mortar Bomb?
I bought it online in 2008/2009, from a very reliable seller that was selling stuff which he had in his collection for more than 30 years.
The listing simply described this as an experimental 4.2" Mortar Bomb.
It is clearly based on 4.2" components, but there are no holes between the fins and there is a small nozzle at the base, so it looks as if it was meant to be jet/rocket-propelled.
The quality of workmanship is very good, so I don't think it is a homemade job.
Thanks in advance for any info.
Garyimage.jpg image.jpg

Hi,
Thanks for the suggestions.
I think Hazord is right with the idea that it looks like a barrage rocket.
I'll post better photo's of the tail fin area and the fuze tomorrow morning.
Thanks again,
Gary

Is the internal tail diameter 29 mm ?,to me the 150 fuse points to it been pre 1944 ? It seems to lose a lot of its internal HE load to the tail

If it is a barrage rocket, the yellow cylinder would be the propellant grain.

Hi,
Some more photo's of the 4.2" Barrage Rocket(?)
The internal tail diameter is more like 45mm.
The fuze is marked No. 150 I SM. S. 3/40
Thanks again for any help with ID.
Gary

image.jpg

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

It could certainly be a mortar. It has a lot of similarities to the French 120mm PEPA series, which were rocket assisted. There were different models but here is a shot of a couple of mine, you can see similarities in the cutaway on the left. I'm at work and cannot do a better photo right now, but it should illustrate the point. French guys, a little help?

French 120mm.jpg

Hello,

The rear part really looks like a nozzle for rocket assisted projectile. Could it be an early development of rocket assisted mortar like French Peppa ?

rocket.jpg120 french pepa.jpg

Regards