What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Townsend - Gauchet Rifle Grenade

Millsman

Premium Member
I bought this in France the other week. It's a Townsend / Gauchet Rifle Grenade from 1915, except that it's actually a replica made out of a Mills No 5.

It is very good. When I bought it I knew the aluminium section and rod had been replaced but was unsure about the head.

When I got back I was able to compare it to an original held by Siegfried. The key difference is that on the original the side join runs all the way over the top of the body. Also the hole for the pin has been drilled centrally, when in the original it is offset near the edge.

However I'm keeping it until the real thing comes along.

John

DSCN2546.JPG

Hello,

A real one (uncomplete) found without rode on WW1 Somme battlefield.

Regards

t1.jpgt2.jpgt3.jpgt4.jpgt6.jpgt7.jpg

Hello,
I bought mine also in France somewhere in November 2015. I knew the rod and Aluminium adaptor were copy but when coming home I realised the top was also fake. I suppose it’s a No23 body (smaller on bottom) So you are not alone. Some 10 years ago I came across a genuine dug up body but the thread was severely worn out and instead off a filler screw there was an adapter with a hole for a fuse or something. I was a novice collector and I decided to wait for a better, more complete example. If I only could go back in time….

SAM_4962.jpg
SAM_4965.jpg
Regards
J P

Last edited: