What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photography anyone?

These were taken using a Nikonos V underwater 35mm non-SLR camera (pre-digital days) - if anyone remembers these?

While I was photographing the Moray Eel, his mate bit me on the finger from another hole - sneaky little #%$#^#^ devil!

I remember there was one location (South West Rocks NSW coast) where three (x3) moray eels were sharing the same hole and all agro!

Hermit Crab - Sydney Harbour.
Dolphins - Great Barrier Reef;
Moray Eel - Coffs Harbour (NSW)
Seal - Off Montague Island (southern NSW coast);

Macros all taken using special underwater extension tubes for the Nikonos V (no housing)

Cheers
Drew

Attachments

• crab.jpg
    crab.jpg
    299.5 KB · Views: 13
  • Dophin.jpg
    Dophin.jpg
    225 KB · Views: 16
  • Moray_0001.jpg
    Moray_0001.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 14
  • Moray1.jpg
    Moray1.jpg
    279.4 KB · Views: 17
  • Seal.jpg
    Seal.jpg
    270.5 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
IMG_3589.jpgIMG_0858.jpgIMG_3598.jpgA few from around New York state. Old boiler room near Seneca Army range, next picture is balloon fest Sanborn NY, Pak 40 at small park in Geneva New York.

Rich that's amazing, what type of camera do you use to take such as photo? Is it one of the specific macro cameras?
Dave.

Dave, all.
For macro photos (well mine anyway) I would split it into two groups, single shot and multishot

1. For Single shot - typically 1x to 5x magnification (btw 1x means a 35mm long object would fill the lens on a 35mm full frame camera)
I use a Canon 7D with Canon MPE-65 and MT-24 twin flash - I double diffuse the flashes. Since the lens doesn’t focus, you have to do that yourself by moving backwards and forwards. I put the camera in full manual and use 1/250[SUP]th[/SUP] to 1/320[SUP]th[/SUP] sec, with f/8 to f/16 aperture (any bigger loses sharpness due to circle of confusion) and then I adjust the exposure by adjusting the power of the twin flash individually per head or together and creep slowly around the garden, lake, butterfly house, wherever.

2. For Multi Shot (or Focus Stacked / Extreme Macro) typcially 3-100x magnification I use either the same kit above, or instead of the MPE-65, I use a 200mm Lens with adapter and 5-100x Microscope objective attached to the front. The camera is then placed on a Stackshot macro rail which will inch the camera along a little as 1/1000[SUP]th[/SUP] of a mm, take a shot and move on, until the series is complete. Typically you end up with 200-700 photographs and use stacking software such as Zerene to produce a single photo…(and then a lot of Photoshop tidying up) With this level of magnification the depth of field can be as low as 0.005 of a mm, which means 200 shots are needed to cover 1mm and be sharp through out. (actually 300 as I add 50% overlap) so with something that small a 3mm object/insect lets say would take 900 shots, and a lot of CPU time to grab the small bits in focus and throw away those out of focus.

Yes its a bit geeky and Ive not perfected method 2 yet, but take a look here for some output from people that have ---> https://500px.com/alhabshi

Rich

Last edited:
Hi Rich,

Firstly great macro summary!

The stackshot macro rail system is just mind blowing!!! (Reminds me of the way a catscan takes "slices")

Up to now I was not familiar with it and after your post did some googling....absolutely brilliant! - (unfortunately I never had the same enthusiasm for land photography as I did for underwater photography)

What is the Camera's memory size in order to accommodate 200-700 photos? And what is resolution of each photo as Hi-Res images are typically memory hungry?

Obviously require a tripod in order to use the rail system, but dynamic subjects like insects (i.e. flys) don't sit around and stay still waiting to be photograph, so I'm a little curious how you can setup and take 200-700 snaps?

I can understand for the slower moving or stationary ones, hence why I use to love photographing "nubibranches" (a colorful slow moving "soft-bodied, marine gastropod mollusk" or basically a slug!).

Also once the macro tube and prongs were assembled onto the camera, the position of the strobe to the subject area was quite short, which greatly reduced the amount of back scatter and I could take macro photos in very "dirty" water conditions.

Great stuff!

Cheers
Drew

BTW - I used to bracket my shots with only 3 x photos.

Attachments

• Nudi-1.jpg
    Nudi-1.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 14
  • Nudi-2.jpg
    Nudi-2.jpg
    302.6 KB · Views: 15
  • Nudi-3.jpg
    Nudi-3.jpg
    291.5 KB · Views: 15
  • Nudi-4.jpg
    Nudi-4.jpg
    299.4 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Hi again, here are some photographs I've made the day before. It's a sad story about love. This is my friend, he came to visit me for some headshots for his CV, we ended up talking about his relationship problems and I continued photographing!
I hope you like it :)

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg

Thres not much post production, just some minor color temperature changes and sharpening.

Being an engineer* Im much better at objects/insect than people.....but I can still appreciate nice photos Marek...well done.
Of course the photos of the 7,62cm Pzgr.40 are MUCH nicer :)

*FYI I used to be a proper engineer, now a paper-pushing IT bod.

While i dont pretend to be a great photographer by any means i was quite pleased with this shot taken this morning while enjoying a bacon sarni at Jennycliff over looking Plymouth sound.
Best regards Weasel.

Drakes Pass.jpg

image.jpg
Took this shot last week whilst away for half term with family in Pembrokshire.
I'm quite pleased with it.
Tim.

Three more fabulous photos guys, all nice and clear .... Keep them coming
The lack of anything around the reflected sub really adds to the mysticism of the unseen sub.

Lovely clear broadside shot of HMS Somerset if Google is not mistaken... (Being a landlubber as you know)

Thank you
rich

Last edited:
Here's a reflection shot I tried, but not as clean and simple as the sub, but made my day

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    454.2 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Very nice picture. :)
My picture is edited with Photoshop........look.....this is the Original. ;)
Today are German submarines from the 2.WW hard to find in the Baltic Sea. :D

Attachments

• Zuschneiden_12.jpg
    Zuschneiden_12.jpg
    263.2 KB · Views: 14
Hi all

A few pics from my works (Heavy foundry)..

Mostly these were taken with my phone which doesn't have a very good camera but sometimes takes me by surprise!, Others will have been taken with the Nikon D40..

IMG_1484.jpgIMG_1777.jpgIMG_1791.jpgW1.jpgW1a.jpgW3.JPG

John..

My brother does custom paintwork on bikes/cars/helmets, In fact anything that will take paint!!, Some of his work below..

hd_done_by_kramone123.jpgheath_ledger_by_kramone123.jpgindian_by_kramone123-d2zdg16.jpgmedusa_bike_1_by_kramone123.jpgpred_by_kramone123.jpgslipknot_done_by_kramone123-d3dr6g2.jpgyamaha_done_by_kramone123-d3dxb9c.jpg

John :)