What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Showing my two RAF WW2 Bomb tails

lancaster103

These are my two RAF WW2 Bomb tails. Found one in a shed many years ago I now I have found some time
to restore the tail. During the restoration I found a marking in the fins GP500Lb G 38 1942.
Beside the 500Lb tail a 250Lb tail found on the Militaria fair at Ciney(B). This one also need tlc. On the fins
also GP250Lb E.L. B-38. Anyone know what the abbreviations(G 38 and E.L. B-38 means??

003.jpgDSC_0004.jpg

These are my two RAF WW2 Bomb tails. Found one in a shed many years ago I now I have found some time
to restore the tail. During the restoration I found a marking in the fins GP500Lb G 38 1942.
Beside the 500Lb tail a 250Lb tail found on the Militaria fair at Ciney(B). This one also need tlc. On the fins
also GP250Lb E.L. B-38. Anyone know what the abbreviations(G 38 and E.L. B-38 means??

View attachment 119868View attachment 119869

It have been quite some time since i visit this most interesting website. I would still like to know about what the abbrevations on one of the tail fins G38 and E.L. B38 means. Further for the restoration of a tail pistol No 30 I seeking a fork.

Regards,
Adrian

The abbreviation G38 and EL B-38 could be the manufacturers initials or recognised trade mark. And maybe is 38 the year of manufactory.

The tail for the GP bomb 250 lb. Mk IV and Mk V is the "250 lb. No. 2 Mk I" or "250 lb. No 2 Mk II".
The tail for the GP bomb 500 lb. Mk IV is the "500 lb. No. 2 Mk I".

There is also a shorter version for the GP bomb 500 lb. Mk IV and Mk V, named "500 lb. No. 26 Mk I".

The tails on the picture should have the following markings on one of the vane supports:

No. 2 I, G.P. 250 lb. or No. 2 II G.P. 250 lb.
The manufacturers initials or recognised trade mark
The date of manufacture, month and year

Some stamped in the sheet metal, other painted.

If the tail is for use to the F.A.A.
The markings on the vane support are:
No. 2 I
G.P. 250 lb. IV

Greetings - Antoon

IMG_4161.jpg

Many Thanks Antoon for your detailed answer and......... drawing. G and E.L are indeed abbrevations of manufacturers but do you or any one on this forum
knows the manufacturers of the tails????

Cheers,
Adrian