Welcome to the Inert Ordnance Collectors.
    Thanks

Showing my two RAF WW2 Bomb tails

These are my two RAF WW2 Bomb tails. Found one in a shed many years ago I now I have found some time
    to restore the tail. During the restoration I found a marking in the fins GP500Lb G 38 1942.
    Beside the 500Lb tail a 250Lb tail found on the Militaria fair at Ciney(B). This one also need tlc. On the fins
    also GP250Lb E.L. B-38. Anyone know what the abbreviations(G 38 and E.L. B-38 means??

003.jpgDSC_0004.jpg

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lancaster103 For This Useful Post:

beihan62 (14th April 2016), Oct41 (16th April 2016), Panzerfaust (26th December 2016)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lancaster103 View Post
    These are my two RAF WW2 Bomb tails. Found one in a shed many years ago I now I have found some time
    to restore the tail. During the restoration I found a marking in the fins GP500Lb G 38 1942.
    Beside the 500Lb tail a 250Lb tail found on the Militaria fair at Ciney(B). This one also need tlc. On the fins
    also GP250Lb E.L. B-38. Anyone know what the abbreviations(G 38 and E.L. B-38 means??

003.jpgDSC_0004.jpg
    It have been quite some time since i visit this most interesting website. I would still like to know about what the abbrevations on one of the tail fins G38 and E.L. B38 means. Further for the restoration of a tail pistol No 30 I seeking a fork.

Regards,
    Adrian

Ordnance Approved
    Thanks
    The abbreviation G38 and EL B-38 could be the manufacturers initials or recognised trade mark. And maybe is 38 the year of manufactory.

The tail for the GP bomb 250 lb. Mk IV and Mk V is the "250 lb. No. 2 Mk I" or "250 lb. No 2 Mk II".
    The tail for the GP bomb 500 lb. Mk IV is the "500 lb. No. 2 Mk I".

There is also a shorter version for the GP bomb 500 lb. Mk IV and Mk V, named "500 lb. No. 26 Mk I".

The tails on the picture should have the following markings on one of the vane supports:

No. 2 I, G.P. 250 lb. or No. 2 II G.P. 250 lb.
    The manufacturers initials or recognised trade mark
    The date of manufacture, month and year

Some stamped in the sheet metal, other painted.

If the tail is for use to the F.A.A.
    The markings on the vane support are:
    No. 2 I
    G.P. 250 lb. IV

Greetings - Antoon

IMG_4161.jpg

Thanks
    Many Thanks Antoon for your detailed answer and......... drawing. G and E.L are indeed abbrevations of manufacturers but do you or any one on this forum
    knows the manufacturers of the tails????

Cheers,
    Adrian