What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

F1 identification

perky416

Hi guys, me again lol.

I was just wondering if anybody could help me identify the origin of another F1 grenade I have purchased? Please see the pictures attached.

The grenade on the right is a part f my Czech F1 set, the grenade on left is the one I have just purchased.

It is hard to tell in the pictures but the segments are shallower on the new one, the edges are less defined the base is shorter and the markings are different.

20160415_121618.jpg20160415_121634.jpg

All help greatly appreciated. Many Thanks

A little more research....

Its a little difficult to make out however there is an "o2" cast into one of the segments:
20160415_190153.jpg

According to wikipedia this is "a french relic" as per their picture. Can anybody confirm?

A little more research....

Its a little difficult to make out however there is an "o2" cast into one of the segments:
View attachment 119917

According to wikipedia this is "a french relic" as per their picture. Can anybody confirm?

This is not French. The French did use a grenade called the F1 in WW1 and WW2, and the body is similar, but it looks different than this. That's probably where the confusion lies with wikipedia. The markings will lead to an answer as to the country of origin, though I can't help with that.

Just incase anybody comes across this and is in the same situation, or just interested, I have found out that this is a Romanian F1.

Im a little disappointed with the purchased as it was sold to me as a Czech F1 which was to complete my box of 20. Thinking of making a cross sectional display piece out of it.

Nice result !
How did you manage to identify that 'o2' - mark ?
Perhaps one should tell wikipedia. Somehow it looks strange when a grenade with UZRG-M fuze is referred to as french.

Best wishes from germany.

Just incase anybody comes across this and is in the same situation, or just interested, I have found out that this is a Romanian F1.

Im a little disappointed with the purchased as it was sold to me as a Czech F1 which was to complete my box of 20. Thinking of making a cross sectional display piece out of it.

Czech F1s seem to be the easiest to find, so I wouldn't be too disappointed as you will have no trouble finding another one to complete your box. Romanian ones are much less common and this is in very nice condition, so you might want to save this one and wait and cut an F1 that is not as nice. They turn up all the time. Also, factory-made sectioned F1s are fairly common to find.

I think that collecting F1s from the various different countries that produced them can be fun. They were made by so many different countries. When you put them next to each other, you can really see how different they look, with the different body castings and colors. Sometimes the fuzes are a bit different too.

This is all just my opinion, of course. :)

Nice result !
How did you manage to identify that 'o2' - mark ?
Perhaps one should tell wikipedia. Somehow it looks strange when a grenade with UZRG-M fuze is referred to as french.

Best wishes from germany.

I stumbled across a website on google images that showed an F1 with very similar markings and the shell looked exactly the same. I identify the markings as such I just compared them to the other picture.

Czech F1s seem to be the easiest to find, so I wouldn't be too disappointed as you will have no trouble finding another one to complete your box. Romanian ones are much less common and this is in very nice condition, so you might want to save this one and wait and cut an F1 that is not as nice. They turn up all the time. Also, factory-made sectioned F1s are fairly common to find.

I think that collecting F1s from the various different countries that produced them can be fun. They were made by so many different countries. When you put them next to each other, you can really see how different they look, with the different body castings and colors. Sometimes the fuzes are a bit different too.

This is all just my opinion, of course. :)

Yes it is a great example, would have been nice if it came with the original fuse. You are right cutting it would be a shame, I have been using it as a display piece on my desk :)