What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rare incendiary cannonball

If the plug with the square hole is a fuze-plug, then the item was not fired, but dumped or lost at sea.
Bellifortis

If the plug with the square hole is a fuze-plug, then the item was not fired, but dumped or lost at sea.
Bellifortis

the photos I posted earlier were plugs taken from fired projectiles.
I think the fact that this was recovered from an area of sea where guns were trained on,would raise the probability that it was
fired from the gunnery school,but of course it could have been dumped as you say.
For practice firing,could they not have fired some without fuzes inserted,as with the RML shells that were fired on another
range near to Plymouth also?
Tim.

Very, very unlikely. I've never heard of fireworks shells being used in practice firings. Even in a ranging shot one would use a fuzed shell so one could observe the exact spot where it landed. The most likely reason for finding a fuze-plugged fireworks shell in the sea, is dumping or loss.
Bellifortis.
the photos I posted earlier were plugs taken from fired projectiles.
I think the fact that this was recovered from an area of sea where guns were trained on,would raise the probability that it was
fired from the gunnery school,but of course it could have been dumped as you say.
For practice firing,could they not have fired some without fuzes inserted,as with the RML shells that were fired on another
range near to Plymouth also?
Tim.

Hi there,
I forwarded the photos to someone who study's early ordnance for his opinion,and he gave me the following
info and drawing.He is confident that it is an RML 6.6" howitzer mk11 star shell.Approved in November1882,
formally introduced into service in January 1883.
So if he is correct now we know.
Tim.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    320.2 KB · Views: 43
Herewith, documentation on 6.6in Mk IV star shell (books from 1893 to 1899)

66.jpg66 2.jpg66 3.jpg15s.jpg

And early version (no Mk, no diagram, book from 1886)

1886.jpg

Last edited:
http://www.cyber-heritage.co.uk/rocketrocket/rockets.htm

RIFLE MUZZLE LOADING R.M.L. ILLUMINATING STAR SHELLS

The "Shell, R.M.L., Filled Star, 8-inch, Mark IV-Spherical" is NOT a cannon ball but a shell??!! This image is from 1902. These are fired from howitzers rather than mortars. Their calibres are 8, 6.6 and 6.3 inch. No bursting charge is needed as the expanding gases from the burning stars is sufficient to break the shell open. Up to 31 stars could be carried. Having no parachute these stars would fall to ground faster and be less prone to wind drift. The "Shell R.M.L. Star 7pr. Mark VI"was a proper studded artillery projectile and shells such as this in a variety of calibres would be fired from a rifled gun for extended range and accuracy. This example would have 4 large stars in it.This is a 1902 image.