What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WW 1 German Naval Sea Mine Fuse Cap?

wichitaslumlord

Premium Member
This is supposedly a Fuse cap from a WW 1 German Sea Mine which washed ashore in England at the beginning of WW 1. The seller stated that an identical one is on display in the Imperial War Museum in London.
I have no idea if it is even an ordnance related item, but it was cheap and interesting!
It is made of brass and has 4 insulated electrical terminals which connect to 4 brass spring contacts inside. the threaded section has a tiny threaded hole for a grub screw to prevent rotation once it's in place. The number 2269 is stamped on the top.
It is 48mm tall, 90mm from one electrical terminal to the opposing one, and the inside diameter of the threaded hole is 40mm.
If you have any idea what it is, I would love to know. THANKS! Pat
German mine fuse cover 1.jpgGerman mine fuse cover 2.jpgGerman mine fuse cover 3.jpgGerman mine fuse cover 4.jpg

Hello Jack,

Thanks for the information!
Do you know any further details of it's position on the mine (mooring plate, hydro-static arming plate, internal, external, etc...)? Does it stay with the mine when armed or does it separate at the time of arming?

Again, thanks so much for the help! Pat

20150317_091358.jpg20150317_093428.jpgM-HG48NL kust (frans).JPGp04ch2pg34.jpgEMA_08.jpgEMA_10.jpgEMA_11.jpgM-HG48NL kust (frans).JPG

Hello Pat

sorry for my late reaction but i was very Buzzy working.
Here are some extra pictures and drawings of de mine.

Regards jack