What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Heavist Projectile I have. Over 100 pounds

CampX

Ordnance approved
This is the heaviest piece of ordnance I have. a Very rare 1870s Armstrong bolt, we only had 2 of these guns in Canada One in Halifax and one in Quebec
I understand these were only in service for a couple of years before they were out dated, they were made to cut through 4 inches of Ship steel.

Dean O
Canada

DSC08001.jpgDSC08002.jpgDSC08003.jpg

There is a big Armstrong at Fort Henry , is this for the 9.1 in 12 ton Gun or something a tad more
reasonable !

With more data it could be identified. It looks like a Palliser shot.
What is the diameter of it and how tall?
Are there any marks on the studs?
Is there an 'E' on one of the bottom studs?
Are there 3 rows of studs?
Are they 1.42" across?
How far up from the base is the centre of the first stud and how far is it from the centre of the bottom stud to the centre of the next.

Here are more photos, the round is just over 16 inches tall and just over 22 inches around, not including the Brass Rifling "bolts.
There are 3 sets of these brass bolts on the round.

Dean O
Canada

DSC08022.jpgDSC08021.jpgDSC08020.jpgDSC08019.jpg

Shot Rifled Muzzle Loader Palliser 7"

This is a Shot Rifled Muzzle Loaded Palliser 7".

Yours is a Mk VI, the date is that of manufacture, the big 'X' denotes that the studs were planed.
If there is a small 'X' this indicates that it the studs are made of hard alloy.
An 'E' on a bottom stud would indicate that the areas round the studs have been examined with a sharp hammer (a bit like a geologists hammer). I used to think this meant Elswick.
As you can see they are not bolts because they do not go through the shot wall and the same with shell.

Attachments

• Shot Rifled ML Palliser 7" - 1.jpg
    Shot Rifled ML Palliser 7" - 1.jpg
    285.9 KB · Views: 34