What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WW1 U.S. 75mm projectile

Gspragge

Premium Member
A friend picked this up the other week; with the U.S. army bomb stamp ;
"It is 75mm. Has two groups of numbers on it. M1403VBC & 1180-62 CB Co."

Who is CB Co ?
I presume these were made for the 75mm 18Pdrs and
some copies of the French 75.
Is the missing fuze adaptor locatable, these seem to be
missing on most examples I see.

Attachments

• 75mm 001.jpg
    75mm 001.jpg
    254 KB · Views: 51
Fuze adapters are few and far between. Rarely you might find one on it's own still attached to a fuze, but it is easier to look for a trashed projectile and salvage an adapter from it. There are plenty out there that have had the rotating bands pulled, been beat to hell, etc. Consider them organ donors.

I am repeating this as I just noticed my type wasn't showing !

Who is CB Co.

"It is 75mm. Has two groups of numbers on it. M1403VBC & 1180-62 CB Co."

I presume these were made for the 75mm 18Pdrs and
some copies of the French 75.

Rather what I suspected about the adaptors, not mine so I won't have to worry
about that !

Fuze adapters are few and far between. Rarely you might find one on it's own still attached to a fuze, but it is easier to look for a trashed projectile and salvage an adapter from it. There are plenty out there that have had the rotating bands pulled, been beat to hell, etc. Consider them organ donors.

Or possibly ogive donors............:wink: Sorry. Pat

Gordon, does the projectile have a brass plate crimped around the base to prevent gas piercing?

Since it has the brass plate, I would assume it to be a 75mm for U.S. use. Not an export.