What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown old projectiles ... can anyone identify?

My brother got these at an auction along with some other items. He says they are "Dia = 3.166" (80.4 mm), Top Fuse hole dia = 1.09375" (27.8 mm), About 5 1/2" (140 mm) above fractured base"
The holes in the base are particularly intriguing.
Does anyone recognize these shells?

Attachments

• IMG_0693.jpg
    IMG_0693.jpg
    230.1 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_0694 (1).jpg
    IMG_0694 (1).jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 89
They look like practice bomb nose pieces,likely from 8-11lb types.Usually made of pig iron.

cheers
Bob

Granted, they look similar but the RCA (Royal Canadian Artillery) cast into one of them makes me think they were projectiles, not bombs.

The curvature makes that pretty unlikely. In your photo you can see the tapered ogive toward the nose, and another taper toward the base. Not much to stabilize a projectile in the barrel. Looks practice bomb to me as well.

RCA will more than likely be the manufacturer (did Radio Corporation of America have a Canadian factory?) The "REF 12P" I strongly suspect is part of an Air Ministry/R.A.F Stores Vocab. Number.

TimG