What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

how is the german El.z(50) charged?

jedifox

HONOURED MEMBER RIP
i'm interested to learn from the brains trust here , how the main capacitor is charged by the fuse charging circuit ,because if you look at the circuit diagram if both plungers are depressed there is no ground path for charging the main capacitor. this is bugging me... i hope someone can explain it .

thanks spotter for the basic info , but that info i've already read and worked out how El.A.Z.(25) series works as i have 3 an 'a,b.and c fuses .just have a look at the circuit diagram of the type 50 as it has me puzzled as to how its charged from the aircraft if both the 'a' and 'b' plungers are depressed and as far as i can see the 'a' plunger isolates the ground side of both the firing circuit and the charging circuit and that has me bugged as to how the main capacitor is charged.it has me scratching my head and getting splinters . hopefully someone can work this one out.

Yes, you are right. I did not even notice that myself before. Here is one small mistake of allied drawing-artists, that is copied over and over again. Now you noticed it. In the El Z (50) the A-plunger is different. I do not know of another fuze with a plunger like that and I have never held one in my hand. In the undepressed position (when the bomb falls) it is making electrical contact to ground. In the original german drawing this part of the plunger has 2 vertical dark stripes, while the electrically completely non conducting ebony rings are drawn fully dark shaded. Both charging condensers are charged by the B-plunger with 240 Volts. With 150 Volts a dud would result. Even after 120 sec. there is not enough charge in the firing condensers for ignition. If the very sensitive tremblers close before, the firing-condensers will discharge over the electric bridge without ignition because the energy is too small. At once the whole process starts all over again until the firing condensers have recieved their full rated charge. The charging condenser is dimensioned at 300%
Regards,
Bellifortis.
thanks spotter for the basic info , but that info i've already read and worked out how El.A.Z.(25) series works as i have 3 an 'a,b.and c fuses .just have a look at the circuit diagram of the type 50 as it has me puzzled as to how its charged from the aircraft if both the 'a' and 'b' plungers are depressed and as far as i can see the 'a' plunger isolates the ground side of both the firing circuit and the charging circuit and that has me bugged as to how the main capacitor is charged.it has me scratching my head and getting splinters . hopefully someone can work this one out.

Last edited: