What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

6cm leuchtgeschoss

MINENAZ16

Ordnance approved
Hello,

I'm looking for details and diagrams of this projectile.
The author (Loslau) said it's a 6cm german (kriegsmarine) star round.
I assume this operation is the same as US grenade signal ground M17 to M22 series, the signal is inverted and loaded into the muzzle of the projector. Leaving the projector tail first, the signal reverses itself.

Regards

6cm1.jpg6cm.jpg

I do not have any info about this item, but I am looking for 2 nice ones for the museum collection Overloon, regards Ben

Hello,

As a lucky person who found these ones I will provide some information about.

It's a 6cm leuchgeschoss round, descibed in german post-war manuals as LG 60, but original markings are 6cm lg. There are also manufacturer code (I know 2 ones tsa and DAG - in my humble opinion and according to places, where these item were found tsa is thornishe schiff ausfrustung (naval factory in Thorn, Poland) and DAG fabrik in Bromberg, Poland. Another numers should be year and lot code.

Ammunition was used in 6cm Signalwerfer, muzzle loaded mortar.

Projectile was made of zinc and steel - tail and base of the shell was made od steel, tube was made of zinc. Powder tube in base was ignited by central igniter and 4 holes generated thrust needed to throw projectile away. Igniter also burns the delay (9,5sec) which ignites charge moving away parachute with projectile load.

As previously mentioned, projectile was fired with "tail-forward" and in the air projectile turns back to normal position. Star charge on parachute lights for 45 sek, according to sources. If anyone need more information and photos (cutaways, parachute, etc) please PM me.

I add picture from german manual, but it is not correct in some points.

http://i.imgur.com/ygsdGwxg.jpg

Hello,
could be this one?
DSCN4482.jpgDSCN4483.jpgDSCN4484.jpgDSCN4485.jpgDSCN4486.jpgDSCN4487.jpgDSCN4488.jpgDSCN4489.jpgDSCN4490.jpgDSCN4491.jpgDSCN4492.jpg

this round could be fired from same weapon?
222.jpg
regards

Hallo,
apparently this is a Navy item with the designation LG 60. It seems to not have been used a lots or most probably developed late in the war. Attached is a page from one of the BIOS reprts.
regards,
Bellifortis.

Attachments

• LG 60 JPG BIOS.jpg
    LG 60 JPG BIOS.jpg
    314.9 KB · Views: 59
Sketch is very bad unfortunately. Designation is uncorrect also. This mistake came from another 6cm Signalwerfer ammo piece - Signalgeschoss 60 (S.G 60). All 6cm Lg i've seen (around 50)was marked in this way, not as LG 60. Body is zinc, not alluminium and its longer then 20cm.

sg.jpg

Last edited:
Hello Fert,

-Projector you show called 6cm signalwerfer fired Sg60M (projectile without tail)
-Projector called Abschussrohr fired two rounds, Sg60m and Lg60 (projectile with tail).

WW2 nomenclature of the round with tail is LG60 but black marking on the round I show is 6cm Lg. so I assume it's a variant and the base of tail is different.

Regards

Last edited:
Hello Minen,
thank you.

a couple of Sg 60 M found in Nord Italy
para1rid.jpgpara2rid.jpgpara3rid.jpgpara4rid.jpgpara5.jpgpara6.jpg

from german source
sg 60.jpg
regards

Last edited:
LG60 and SG60M are mentionned in 42/43.
Bellifortis shows an interesting diagram that matches with the round I show (same fins and same cone base).
So I assume two different models for round with tail (LG60 and 6cm Lg.).

60.jpg60 2.jpg

Last edited:
You are assuming right minenaz16. There are 3 different 60mm rounds. The SG 60 is a Signalling round(Signal-Geschoss) with coloured stars and a parachute and NO tail, while the LG 60 and the 60 Lg are Illuminating rounds(Leucht-Geschoss) (flare with parachute) which have this strangely formed tail and which turn around in flight.
Bellifortis.

Last edited: