What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Maybach Fuel Cap

skull181

A nice ground dug Maybach Engine Fuel Cap.

The logo is still in a decent condition, the Tiger had six of these caps..

Please scroll down to: Air Cleaners - http://www.alanhamby.com/maybach.shtml

You can clearly see the six caps with the Maybach logo on them.

Lovely!

Attachments

• Maybach 001 (640x480).jpg
    Maybach 001 (640x480).jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 39
  • Maybach 002 (640x480).jpg
    Maybach 002 (640x480).jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 31
  • Maybach 003 (640x480).jpg
    Maybach 003 (640x480).jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 38
As you say, lovely item Skull.
Is this something you found yourself or purchased, and if you found it, can I ask roughly where, eg Normandy,Ardennes etc?

Also I think all (certainly most) German Tanks except Panzer I and Czech 38T based chassis used Maybach engines, so are you able to determine which model of engine pending the style of this cap?

Rich

I never dug this actual piece up myself, but it was from Eastern Europe, recovered with other Tiger stuff.

Fuel cap? That's a rocker cover retaining handwheel. Fuel tanks and caps are in the hull, not on the engine.
Nice piece anyway!

Cheers Tankbarrel :congrats:, I thought it was a fuel cap, but I've got to ask..

what's a "Rocker Cover Retaining Handwheel"?? lol.

The rocker covers are the cast covers on each cylinder bank that cover the valve gear, the Maybach being overhead cam. Your handwheel retains the smaller panel that is part of the larger cover. You remove the covers to inspect and adjust the valve tappet clearances.

I do recall seeing NSU in the past on one or two but i have just googled it and most are plain pressed steel, so looks like this is from a maybach, and probably the same thread. Those pesky Germans !!

A good use for one though, assuming your Maybach isn't missing one! Something to talk about at the Krad meetings.

Recycling at it's best.. thanks for the help lads, especially the info' on the "Rocker Covers" :congrats: