What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WW1 British Rifle Grenades - Top Markings

Millsman

Premium Member
As part of my research into WW1 British Rifle Grenades I looked at the marking on the top plates. Some are virtually plain, others are marked in great detail.

Here are some photos - details are in the file title.

No 3 - Mixture of plain and marked.

3 Mk I 1914.jpgNo 3 F and S 1916.JPGNo 3 Mk 1 GTL.JPGNo 3 Mk I 1916.JPG

No 20 - Details - triangles and Vs

No 20 Mk I GTL.JPGNo 20 Mk I Marked.JPGNo 20 Mk I.JPG

No 22

99% of No 22's seem to be un-marked. Not strictly a 'top mark' but interesting.

No 22.jpg

No 24 Mk I and II

No 24 Mk I.jpgNo 24 Mk I SGB.jpgNo 24 Mk II.jpg

No 35

No 35 Mk I.JPG

No 39

No 39 Mk I.jpg

It's interesting that the Chief Inspector at Woolwich seemed to demand more detailed markings for the Mills grenade, especially from the No 23 Mk III but the same standard was not applied to rifle grenades.

Hope this is of interest. If you have more - please add!

John

Here's a couple that I left out as they are not my grenades but are relevant.

The top of a No 17 'Top Hat' rifle grenade.

DSCN1722.jpg

The top plate of the No 4 showing the spring clip retaining the det.

FSCN1257.jpg

Wonderful items.

John

Hello,
Here somedug ups in poor condition. Manufacturer of the 1916 plug is probably W.S “oddsign” & S. The others are GTL dated 11/1916 and 1/1917.
SAM_4961.jpgSAM_4958.jpgSAM_4959.jpg
J P

interesting post. still amazed, as john touched on, at the variation of standards from one company/branch/division to another in the same field. youd think there would be a much more structured system of checks and balances so to speak. of course I'm talking about other countries as well, maybe more so. I guess there were other matters at hand at the time. thanks for original post John. fantastic photos by the way

WW1 rifle grenades have two main themes Innovation and Cost reduction. Fascinating subject.

John

AD168a.jpgI found this pic of the top of a No.24 Mk1 that I saw for sale years ago. Pretty sure the brass hexagonal nut is not right but the marking is X-L-ALL 1916. Not something I have seen before or since.

I agree with both statements. Never seen the hex nut plug or the X-L-ALL marking before. Thanks for posting. John

X.L. All Ltd.,
Hall Green, nr Birmingham.

Phone : Shirley 38.

War work - Shell fuzes, Carburettors, Aeroplane pressings, Bolts, Nuts, Universall joints, Hand and rifle grenades.

TimG

Hey @Millsman ! Great photos! Thank you for sharing them.

Do you know that the G.T.L. stamping stands for?

I have a No3 top with what appears to be little dots around the "nut" section, I'm guessing they're roll marks of some sort?

Hey @Millsman ! Great photos! Thank you for sharing them.

Do you know that the G.T.L. stamping stands for?

I have a No3 top with what appears to be little dots around the "nut" section, I'm guessing they're roll marks of some sort?

GTL were Gestetner Limited