What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Langzeit Zünder 17

doppz92

Premium Member
Cannot resist sharing these pictures, this is one of my favorite fuzes, pretty rare and in nice condition: a HZ04 for boobytrapping ammunition dumps or Lgz Z17.

LgzZ17-4.jpgLgzZ17-1.jpgLgzZ17-3.jpgLgzZ17-2.jpgLgzZ17-5.jpg

The gaine still retains it's specific red colour and the metallic wire which is supposed to be disolved in acid is well visible.

I've been told there were other fuzes types used for the same purpose, is that true?

Has anyone in his collection a box with the 2 Lgz Z17 fuzes and the accessories i.e. the acid ampulas and the files?? or a drawing or a picture?

Thanks!

No drawings of the box or accessories, but the attached might be of interest to some.

Tom.

Attachments

• LD fuze_1.jpg
    LD fuze_1.jpg
    276.7 KB · Views: 55
  • LD fuze_2.jpg
    LD fuze_2.jpg
    265.8 KB · Views: 65
  • ADD.jpg
    ADD.jpg
    225.3 KB · Views: 67
According to my data, Lgz.Z. 17 was the only "trap-device" fuze developed by Germans in the production stage.

I read somewhere that there was a version of the lWMZdr or lWMZdr2 turned into such a device. Has anyone heard of it or seen it?

This is of real interest, thanks. Was the second device, the "Autoamtic Detonating Device" something to use with shells or with some kind of demolition charge? I've never seen it, does someone have an example or a photo??

Was the second device, the "Autoamtic Detonating Device" something to use with shells or with some kind of demolition charge?

The device was more for booby trapping abandoned trenches and dugouts. Apart from the inclusion in pamphlet SS163, it appears in other intelligence summaries such as the Summary of Machine Gun Intelligence, May 1917 - a couple of pages attached.

Attachments

• MGC Intelligence Rpt.jpg
    MGC Intelligence Rpt.jpg
    325 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Yes indeed, more than hepful! So there are at least 3 different types: HZ04, lWM Zdr and Z s.u.m.WM Zdr! And may be more?
The box is parcularly interesting. I guess the carboard inserts contain the acid ampulas? Could you take a picture of the box and the markings? And outside too? I am sure I am not the only one interested in seeing this rarity! Thanks Bonnex!

Thank you Snufkin! Does anyone have an example of this trapping device? I don't think it was used very often and thus must remain pretty scarce.

No doubt then, the lWMZdr2 turned into a demolition device does exist. The only way to recognize it when in place in a shell is the star, and my HZ04 also has a star.

LgzZ17-6.jpg

Lots of fuzes in collections can't be dismounted, may be there are some of these, sitting on a shelf, without you knowing it's one of these trapping devices? If you find something, post a picture

Sorry about the rushed image. I assume you just want to see that the long delay demolition fuze was made.

GLD4.jpg

Thanks, fab picture of two very rare items. Thank you very much! Let's hope I get lucky and finaly lay my hands on them, until then I'll carry on the Quest...

I heard about more Minenwerfer fuzes, but no other standard artillery fuzes as trap-devcice (as I said above).

This is a nice document if you can read German.
Thanks to Dierk Hensel

Attachments

• Langzeitzunder Duitsland.pdf
    447.9 KB · Views: 71
A couple of drawings for those interested. Apologies as always for the quality.

GLD7.JPGGLD6.JPGCL60 German Long Delay Mortar Fuze.jpg