What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My WW2 Red Cross POW Box Collection

CampX

Ordnance approved
This is off topic, but this is one of the other many things I collect. These are all Original WW2 Red Cross POW Boxes with some of the contents.
As I have read, the Canadian POW Boxes were the ones most liked, large, a wider selection of items ect.

But the most important thing that came in the Canadian Boxes was the KLIM Tins. they have a bulge just below the top, and when the tops and bottoms were taken off, the tins, when pushed together formed an airtight tube or pipe... if you do not know the importance of that, think about the air required in a Tunnel.

When they dug up a Tunnel at Sagan ( The Great Escape) they found these air pipes made of 100s of these Klim tins, I believe this to be the second largest collection of these in the world, the fellow I got them from must have the largest as he let so many go, I have them from a few Countries, however the Rarest is the Large one that was only full of Medical supplies and is shown.

I just thought some of you might like to see this.

Dean O
Canada

DSC08137.jpgDSC08138.jpgDSC08139.jpgDSC08140.jpg

Very interesting, I've never seen these, and never thought of collecting them. Thanks for showing the pictures.

These always remind me of the movies "The Great Escape" and "The Colditz Story.
Forgotten pieces of history that meant so much to their recipients.

What a great collection!

Cheers,
Brad

Good museum that features the Red Cross Boxes is the Underground Hospital on Jersey in the Channel Islands. In (I think, August or September of) 1944 Red cross boxes got to the island for the first time to feed the population. After D Day no rations got to the Islands and things were getting very bad. To their credit the Germans didn't steal the boxes intended for the civilians, even though their own food supplies had nearly run out. The museum features a good display of boxes which were very important to the local population at the end of the war.

John

Found it. This is from April 2010. Nice display. The boxes look a bit clean though.

John

Attachments

• DSC_0234.jpg
    DSC_0234.jpg
    293.8 KB · Views: 12