What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

24 Cm IJ Fortress gun in Hellevoetsluis

pzgr40

Premium Member
As a child I was told the story of “the lost guns”. Two German guns that were the spoils of WW1 and would be placed in a fortified position approximately where now the Haringvliet dam is. During transport these guns sank away in the sand , not to be recovered.

As a child I have been looking in the dunes , searching for this guns, but all we found was a toppled over 3,7cm Flak gun, of which the breech was blown by the EOD to check if no cartridge was still in place.

Later on it appeared that the story about the gun had “faded” through the years. The guns were no WW1 German spoil of war, but much older 24cm IJ (Ijzer/Iron) guns, bought in 1875 by the dutch army from the Finspong company in Sweden.

Nine of these guns were placed on the fortress walls of Hellevoetsluis in 1880, facing the Haringvliet, being able to stop any ship that wanted to sail to Rotterdam.

The Guns have a 24cm calibre, shell weight is 150 kg, Vo 380 mtrs/sec and range of the guns was 3 km. The shells were Notch shells.

In 2007 the gun was finally found back in the dunes, and it was transported to Hellevoetsluis. Thanks to local investors, enough money was gathered to build a new gun cradle to original specifications, and to repair the concrete turntable the cradle rotates on.

Today it’s the only surviving gun of it's kind, brought back in it’s original state.

Regards, DJH

Attachments

• 01- 24 IJ.jpg
    01- 24 IJ.jpg
    292.3 KB · Views: 57
  • 02-24 IJ.jpg
    02-24 IJ.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 54
  • 03 - 24 IJ.jpg
    03 - 24 IJ.jpg
    290 KB · Views: 62
  • 04 - 24 IJ.jpg
    04 - 24 IJ.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 49
  • 05 - granaten 24cm IJ.jpg
    05 - granaten 24cm IJ.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 53
  • 06 - schootsveld 24IJ.jpg
    06 - schootsveld 24IJ.jpg
    273.2 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Today it’s the only surviving gun of it's kind, brought back in it’s original state.

Regards, DJH

It is not the only survivor. In the Dutch National Military Museum there is one on it's original mounting. Here an old photo of it still standing in the old museum yard. It is restored and put inside the new museum.
Regards,
greif

Attachments

• 006660-b.jpg
    006660-b.jpg
    235.2 KB · Views: 31
Thanks pzgr40.
Great story,great post.
Why do people have to put graphiti on everything?
Tim.

As the saying goes over here:
"Only fools and insanes write their name on doors and window planes"
Conclusion: Ali is a fool or insame.

@ Greif: Nice to hear we have one spare :)
How are you doing?

Last edited:
I am doing well. Retired last year, so I have more time for the hobby. When the redecoration of my house is done I will pay you a visit to admire your excellent collection of sectioned ammo.