What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Old Ship for an Old Fool !

Gspragge

Premium Member
I had been sort of looking for an old wooden ship model for decorative reasons.
I was hoping for something with cannons of course, Piraticle in feel :xd:
But I found this old monster (33" long) no guns a rotten Pirate ship~
But it likely was scratch built in the 20s has fine colour and presence
so should work out. It must have been in a barn for 50 years and was filthy.
All the rigging was rotten or destroyed. But the hulk cleaned up well and is only
missing about 4 larger elements. So now to find "Rigging for idiots"
and rebuild it (retirement project?) ~ :tinysmile_cry_t2:

Attachments

• IMG_0001 5.JPG
    IMG_0001 5.JPG
    246.1 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0002 4.JPG
    IMG_0002 4.JPG
    201.4 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0002 5.JPG
    IMG_0002 5.JPG
    221.1 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0001 6.jpg
    IMG_0001 6.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0002 4.jpg
    IMG_0002 4.jpg
    242.9 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0008.jpg
    IMG_0008.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 23
Magnificent ship.

I think you are right with the period. My mother had one which was a bit simpler but of the same style. It was bought just before WW2. The sails were made of Vellum and were very similar to yours.

John

Good luck with your project,it will make a fine display piece when you have completed it,
Regards,
Don,

Since the ship sank and there are no surviving drawings or plans every model is an educated guess and different
in detail but over all similar. This model rigging instruction looks good though I think I have more attachment points. Maybe
the plastic model has the basics and I can add in the rest as I find out about it. As long as it's step by step and really
really simple :rolleyes: ~

If the ship is really a model of the Santa Maria, which was one of Columbus' three ships that made the first trip to America, you would think there would be artwork of it somewhere! Those of us in America get The Nina, the Pinta, and the Santa Maria drilled into us from the first grade.

Googling Columbus' Santa Maria, yields 1.73 bazillion photos of sailing models and other artwork.

Attachments

• SantaMaria6_04.jpg
    SantaMaria6_04.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 8
  • santa-maria-1119705_960_720.jpg
    santa-maria-1119705_960_720.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 7
Last edited: