What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

37mm DIP Round. Baton, Anti Riot, CS

roller63

Premium Member
I got this the other day, a 37mm DIP round case. Only markingSAM_0003.JPGSAM_0002.JPGSAM_0001.JPG is what is on the case. I didn't know what it was, but some research identified it as a "Discriminating Irritant Projectile" a type of CS/Irritant round, was being trialled for Police use. A std grey aluminium case with what looks like a stainless steel adapter in the case, presumably for a blank propelling cartridge ? Any further information would be welcome.

Just thought I would bump this thread to see if there was anymore information available, I have found limited references online. Thanks.

Is it possible to post a picture of the inside of the case please.
How far does the stainless insert enter the case by?
Is the case the same diameter internally from mouth to base, or is it reduced diameter nearer the base?
I notice the 37mm marking uses lower case mm, not upper case MM like current in service baton rounds made by PSH. Something about the font style gives me the impression that maybe this has some connection with Primetake.

DSC00012.jpgDSC00013.jpgDSC00014.jpgThanks for your reply. I have taken the best pics of the inside I can for the time being, will try to remove insert. I can't get a tape in to measure it, but it looks like it protrudes about a third of the case length. It appears that the case is the same diameter from top to bottom. The insert will take the .38 cartridge as other types of similar Baton cases. Quite possibly something to do with Primetake. Internet articles suggest the round was in development a while ago.

I don’t think there is a need to try removing the insert, the middle photo gives a good idea of insert size and case design.

There are several references online found through google, dating as early as 2004 and as late as 2013, that mention the DIP.

One reference from 2013 includes both DIP and L60A3 in a paragraph title, so there might be an L60A3 baton round to look out for.

Last edited: