What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help Identify Wooden Box and markings????

Dakota15

From info gathered I believe it may be 19th early 20th century. British broad arrow government propertie.crown over IS "The Imperial Staff" over 881? T378? to the left 1041 to the right? Can anyone tell me what this box actually is and what the other markings mean??

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    295.7 KB · Views: 58
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 50
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    231.7 KB · Views: 55
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 48
I don't think it's ammunition related, it doesn't have any characteristic design features of a 20th century box. It might be an equipment box instead. The crown is interesting though, it might be Victorias. The 1041 that you mention looks like it could be IO 41

Picture of the crown over is

Picture of the crown over is, does this help?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 32
Yep sure does,it is an Indian inspection mark....seen this type of inspection mark on hundreds of SMLE's,problem is that it doesn't necessarily mean the box originated in India as they also put their markings on equipment passed on/sold to them from England ect....the crown is typically Indian as the king of England was also the Imperor(Emperor) of India in those days.

That's some great information thank you. This is the second site I have put this box on but still no one nos exactly what is it! I've had some interesting info tho thank you. Hopefully I can find out what is it....