What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WW1 Training trenches

mach1bang

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

last week,we visited here whilst on a break in Pembrokeshire.
These training trenches on the coast just outside the village of Penally,were made in 1914,
replicating a trench system as used in Europe.
They can still be clearly seen,as the photos show.They are situated very close to the coastal foot path
and easily viewed.When firing is in progress on a near by range,part of the footpath is closed,but they can still be viewed
from a parallel path.
The photos on the right are of an information board.
Hope this is of interest.
Tim.

Anything old is of interest to me, thanks. Question: These trenches are as far away from the Channel as possible. therefore they are also as far away as possible from the heavily populated areas and the War itself. This would make sense during WWII, when planes could reach very deep over UK. But not during WWI when there were no far flying bombers. So, why so far away?

Anything old is of interest to me, thanks. Question: These trenches are as far away from the Channel as possible. therefore they are also as far away as possible from the heavily populated areas and the War itself. This would make sense during WWII, when planes could reach very deep over UK. But not during WWI when there were no far flying bombers. So, why so far away?

These trenches were used for training troops before they went to France/Belgium during WW1,not used for defence of the UK,so location was not important...we have substantial remains of WW1 training trenches in the middle of Salisbury plain training area,Wiltshire.

If you read the info on the board,it says there has been training there since 1860 at Penally camp which is very close to these trenches and
still used today.I presume it was just a convenient place to put them as the camp was already there.
Tim.

Attachments

• IMG_5217.jpg
    IMG_5217.jpg
    309.6 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_5218.jpg
    IMG_5218.jpg
    297.8 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_5219.jpg
    IMG_5219.jpg
    301.7 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_5221.jpg