Welcome to the Inert Ordnance Collectors.
    Premium Member
    Thanks

WW1 Training trenches

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

last week,we visited here whilst on a break in Pembrokeshire.
    These training trenches on the coast just outside the village of Penally,were made in 1914,
    replicating a trench system as used in Europe.
    They can still be clearly seen,as the photos show.They are situated very close to the coastal foot path
    and easily viewed.When firing is in progress on a near by range,part of the footpath is closed,but they can still be viewed
    from a parallel path.
    The photos on the right are of an information board.
    Hope this is of interest.
    Tim.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to mach1bang For This Useful Post:

beihan62 (13th June 2016), Bonnex (13th June 2016), hangarman (12th June 2016), rga2020 (13th September 2016), smle2009 (13th June 2016), Snufkin (13th June 2016), Yodamaster (13th June 2016)

Thanks
    Anything old is of interest to me, thanks. Question: These trenches are as far away from the Channel as possible. therefore they are also as far away as possible from the heavily populated areas and the War itself. This would make sense during WWII, when planes could reach very deep over UK. But not during WWI when there were no far flying bombers. So, why so far away?

Images
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sksvlad View Post
    Anything old is of interest to me, thanks. Question: These trenches are as far away from the Channel as possible. therefore they are also as far away as possible from the heavily populated areas and the War itself. This would make sense during WWII, when planes could reach very deep over UK. But not during WWI when there were no far flying bombers. So, why so far away?
    These trenches were used for training troops before they went to France/Belgium during WW1,not used for defence of the UK,so location was not important...we have substantial remains of WW1 training trenches in the middle of Salisbury plain training area,Wiltshire.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sksvlad View Post
    If you read the info on the board,it says there has been training there since 1860 at Penally camp which is very close to these trenches and
    still used today.I presume it was just a convenient place to put them as the camp was already there.
    Tim.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,235 Times in 561 Posts

Penally WW1 trenches

I've just been on holiday to Tenby and also went to see the nearby world war 1 practice trench system at Penally.
    Some info is given on this link.
    http://www.coflein.gov.uk/en/site/26...ctice-trenches
    Photos attached.
    An interesting local place to go and see an historic trench system.
    Dave.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by spotter; 15th April 2017 at 10:14 AM.

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SG500 For This Useful Post:

DICKAREN (15th April 2017), Montagu (14th April 2017), QuickSilver (14th April 2017), sksvlad (19th April 2017), Yodamaster (15th April 2017)

UBIQUE
    Images
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,028 Times in 757 Posts
    An old post i did a few years back showing the trench system on Otterburn training Area
    http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/thread...Northumberland
    Last edited by spotter; 15th April 2017 at 09:07 PM.

Any Live or Dug ordnance shown by me has been disposed of by military EOD personnel .

BOCN HELPING TO PROMOTE SAFE RESPONSIBLE ORDNANCE COLLECTING

9. The Following User Says Thank You to spotter For This Useful Post:

SG500 (15th April 2017)