What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mine (M) Alarm

Antoon

Ordnance approved
Who has information about a MINE (M) ALARM
It should be a small cylinder with a pressure fuse
Dark brown colour with white markings.

Looks like the British AP Mine No. 5
Dimensions unknown

Factory code K.H.C. or H.H.C.

I have no picture available.

Greetings - Antoon

I would be the practice version of Mine A/P, No. 5 Mk. I and the complete name is "Alarm Mine (M) No. 5 Mk. I"

No5MkI_16.jpg

It is characterized by a black body, half of which is made of metal and half in bakelite. The body weighs around 55-60 g and contains a smoke charge instead of explosive.
The first models of the Alarm Mine had a red body.

Regards
stecol

To be pedantic, the intended use of Mine, 'M' Alarm, MkI., was for warning systems and exercises.

TimG

Who has information about a MINE (M) ALARM
It should be a small cylinder with a pressure fuse
Dark brown colour with white markings.

Looks like the British AP Mine No. 5
Dimensions unknown

Factory code K.H.C. or H.H.C.

I have no picture available.

Greetings - Antoon

Herewith a couple of images. The mines were designed by Macrae at MD1 (Winston Churchill's Toyshop).
The Alarm version is Inert Filled but the igniter contains Flash Powder. Two igniters were available for the Alarm Mine, an instantaneous (blue top) and one with a 3s delay (orange top).
Cardboard (Strawboard) body 2-in diameter x 3.5-in and probably weighs about 7 oz (the HE version fill is 6.75 oz)

I only know of the Cardboard versions and the use of Black Paint for the Alarm version but the use of brighter colours for recovery makes sense, as does the use of Bakelite if tooling costs are justified, and some metal would help locate it (Macrae's initial idea was that the HE version would be cheap and difficult to detect).

The two shown below belonged to Colonel Macrae. The drawing is from the MD1 Drawing Office.

M Alarm2.jpgM AlarmGA.jpg