What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

World's Largest Collection of Ammunition for US 37mm M3, M5 and M6 Cannons

M8owner

As I am currently under employed, I decided to inventory my 37mm collection today as it has reached its zenith. I was just talked into selling a few items, and I have not added much in the past ten years. Most of these items were accumulated in the 90’s. So, I thought it best to record my accomplishment before it starts getting any smaller. My goal when I started collecting US 37mm ammunition for the WWII tank and antitank guns in 1991 was to assemble the world's finest collection of these items. These were the only items I chose to collect until recently as I shoot with both my M3 and M6 37mm cannons. The silver projectiles on the right are reproduction leaded steel rounds crimped onto cases that are ready to be fired. I only included these to show the cases for the count. Only six projectiles retain their original paint and markings. Much of this is normally stored in the ammunition racks in my M8 armored car – holds 80 rounds.

I count 175 cases (I am including the three I just sold). I thought I had over 200.
4 X M13 Drill Rounds
1 X ten guage blank adapter
12 X M63 HE
2 X M51 TP
6 X M74 AP
19 X M51 AP of various types
5 X M58 base fuses for the M63 HE
1 X M38 base fuse for the Mk II HE
4 X Mk II HE
2 X M2 Canister
13 X Tootsie Rolls (M58 cardboard storage canisters)
1 X Proof projectile

IMG_2979.jpgIMG_2980.jpgIMG_2983.jpgIMG_2981.jpgIMG_2973.jpgIMG_2974.jpg

I noted details in this inventory that I did not notice before. There are six types of neck crimps on the cases. Only one case had the normal high crimp for the canister round. However, I found one more that could be for the canister - same location as the canister crimp but not as many indentations.

Attachments

• IMG_2975.jpg
    IMG_2975.jpg
    315.8 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_2976.jpg
    IMG_2976.jpg
    306.9 KB · Views: 122
Two of the M63 HE projectiles have simplified driving bands and are labeled as "MOD1".

Attachments

• IMG_2977.jpg
    IMG_2977.jpg
    287.2 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_2978.jpg
    IMG_2978.jpg
    281.5 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
It is interesting to note that only one M13 drill round was labeled on the case bottom as an M13. The other three are marked as M16 cases.

Attachments

• IMG_2970.jpg
    IMG_2970.jpg
    302.1 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_2972.jpg
    IMG_2972.jpg
    277.6 KB · Views: 73
Details of the labels on the tootsie rolls.

Attachments

• IMG_2967.jpg
    IMG_2967.jpg
    301.1 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_2968.jpg
    IMG_2968.jpg
    307.7 KB · Views: 40
Yes, I do believe you've won the 37MM M3/M5/M6 Largest Collection award. Very, very impressive.

That's a very good way to keep burglars and possibly neighbours at bay...

I know of at least one neighbor (college professor liberal type) who will not come over to visit due to my collection. Another neighbor is kept at bay with my "patrols" along the fence line. He has made himself unwelcome. The other two are fine and bring their visiting families over to see the sites next door. Most properties out here are ten acres or more; folks don't go out into the country to be social, generally. I don't have enough room to shoot solid shot here, but I have worked up a nice canister load that I can fire on the property.

Great collection - I wish you were my neighbor.

Any idea what the purpose of the "Mod-1" is on those M63s? I have one that is dated 1943 so the "Mod" must have been going on from at least 43' into 44'.
My guess is maybe there was some cost savings to be found in the different drive band.

PS- my Mod-1 is available for trade if you want to enhance the collection.

Last edited:
The only thing different on my Mod1's is a groove that is 0.090 inches wide by 0.020 inches deep in the driving band is gone. Seems like they merely got authorization to simplify the manufacture by removing one machining step. I have fired projectiles with and without the groove. It makes no difference.

Thank you for the offer on the Mod1, Jeff. I don't really add 37mm stuff anymore. I have moved on to all the interesting things you can get out of Europe.

I just noticed my 1943 Mod 1 is not threaded for a base fuze or plug.... yet it has the crossed cannon cartouche, meaning it was accepted as is.
That's got me wondering...
Are yours threaded?

Nice collection and I bet the M8 and the 37mm field gun are a bonus too. What type of power load do you put in these things, not only is the collecting side interesting but the maintenance side and reloading would be fascinating as well. Do you use original reloading tools or are they specially made.

Last edited:
It keeps getting larger. I have added a few cases and four projectiles. One is this M63 HE MOD-1 with a groove in the driving band. It also shows blue paint on top of yellow.

Attachments

• 37mm M63 Mod 1 with groove.jpg
    37mm M63 Mod 1 with groove.jpg
    282 KB · Views: 42
I have three rather tatty examples as shown.

As I understand it those without groove in the band are for practice
and would be blue. But the first issues were with groove
before the change was made. A yellow example without the groove
I would question as to being a repaint.

Attachments

• M63 MOD1.jpg
    M63 MOD1.jpg
    252.9 KB · Views: 55
Great collection - I wish you were my neighbor.

Any idea what the purpose of the "Mod-1" is on those M63s? I have one that is dated 1943 so the "Mod" must have been going on from at least 43' into 44'.
My guess is maybe there was some cost savings to be found in the different drive band.

PS- my Mod-1 is available for trade if you want to enhance the collection.

Finally found some information about the M63 Mod-1.
In the book "Elements of Ammunition" written by Ordnance Major Theodore Ohart published in 1946, a velocity chart is given for 37mm rounds for the various projectiles, cases and guns used in WW2.
There is a separate line for "M63 Mod (prac)". It is assembled with the MK1A2 case for use in the 1916 Sub-calibre gun.

So apparently it was made specifically for practice.